Chapter 12: Trouble's Brewing

The tourney tryouts came very quickly. Jacey and Mallory made their way to the field excitedly. Both girls have been waiting for this day since school started. "Can you believe it?" Mallory asked. "Tryouts are finally here."

"I know, I'm so excited," Jacey replied. When the girls arrived at the field, they realized they were the only girls who were there to try out. "I wish more girls would see that they can play this sport too."

"I agree," Mallory replied. Mallory then noticed something. "Hey Jacey," she said, getting Jacey's attention, "aren't you going to take your bracelet off?"

Jacey looked down at her wrist; she didn't realize she was still wearing. "Why would I take it off?" she asked.

"Because we're about to play a very physical sport," Mallory said being a little confused by Jacey's response. "It's probably safer to play without any jewelry." At that moment, Mallory could have sworn she saw Jacey's brown eyes glow a golden color. It only lasted a second, so she didn't question any further.

"I-I'm just keeping it on as a good luck charm," Jacey said.

"Okay..."

"Hey guys," Allen said approaching the girls.

"Hi Allen," Jacey said with a smile and a happy tone. "You're trying out for tourney?"

"Yep," Allen said. "My dad is pretty good friends with the coach, so he said I should try out for the team."

"Who's the coach?" Jacey asked.

"Jay. You know with my dad's dad being Aladdin and Jay's dad being Jafar, they made amends with each other when the VKs chose good over evil. Now, Jay and my father are great friends."

A whistle was then blown. "Okay, team!" Jay yelled from the middle of the field. "Let's get these tryouts started!" The team huddled in the center as the rules were explained to them. "Now, as you can see," Jay started, "we have two girls trying out this year." Both Jacey and Mallory gave the team prideful smiles. "I expect you all to treat them like everybody else on the team."

After more explanations, they were divided up to play against each other. Jacey put her mask on as she prepared herself. It was a rush for her. She felt free while on the field. Jay watched Jacey play; she was going to be a very valuable player on the team. He smiled as he watched his long lost daughter play the game that first introduced him to the meaning of being a team and a family.

Sometime during one of the games, Jacey avoided getting caught in the kill zone, but she tripped over herself. "Maybe tourney isn't your thing," one of the players said that she was playing against. "Maybe you should just give up on this ridiculous thought. This sport is meant for guys. Not some girl like yourself. Maybe you should try being a prissy princess like every other girl at this school." He gave Jacey an evil grin before running off.

Jacey was mad. Not because she fell, but because the boys' comment made her blood boil. Suddenly, the gem on her bracelet began glowing. The golden glow in her eyes came back as well. Jacey picked herself up and began running. She held the tourney stick tightly and headed for that boy since he currently had the ball. As she caught up to him, she threw her shoulder towards him to knock him off balance. He fell, and the ball fell out of his tourney stick. Jacey picked up the ball and began running.

Other players playing against her try to do the same, but she easily deflected them. The goal was right there. She threw the ball in the air and smacked it towards the goal. She had just scored. Jay blew his whistle. "Good game! That's it for today. Rosters will be posted shortly!"

Jacey's gem stopped glowing just as her eyes did. She began breathing heavily; the wave of anger she felt from the boy's comment suddenly disappeared. She took off her helmet so she could breathe better.