Chapter 17: Mind Control

Brelyn picked herself up out of bed. Morning had finally come. She stretched her arms as she turned her body so her feet were touching the floor. She looked around the room.

Something was off. She looked towards where Elaina was sleeping. That was it; Elaina was still sleeping. Elaina usually woke up at the same time or a little before Brelyn. Brelyn walked over to Elaina's bed just to make sure nothing was wrong.

"Elaina," Brelyn said softly as she woke up her sleeping friend, "are you alright?" Elaina groaned as she shifted her position. She was teary-eyed and red in the face. Brelyn paced her hand on Elaina's forehead. "Oh my gosh, you're burning up. You're not going to school today."

Elaina coughed before she was able to speak. "M-My head hurts so much," Elaina said with a raspy and tired voice.

"Go back to sleep and rest," Brelyn said as she tucked Elaina in nicely. "I'll tell Evie that you won't be present today. I'll even go to your teachers and get your homework for you."

After Elaina fell back asleep, Brelyn got ready for the school day. She left her dorm earlier than usual so she could inform the school that Elaina would not be present.

She didn't even think when she approached Evie's office; she didn't even knock before entering. When Brelyn entered, she saw Evie and Mal having a conversation. "Oh sorry," Brelyn said. "I should've knocked before coming in."

"You're good, Brelyn," Evie replied. "What can I do for you?"

"I just came to inform you that Elaina will not be attending classes today."

"Why? Is everything okay?" Evie asked with a worried expression.

"She woke up this morning, and her forehead was burning. I'm almost positive she has a fever," Brelyn explained.

"Oh-well, thank you for letting me know," Evie responded.

"You look worried," Mal said to Brelyn.

"Maybe a little," she replied. "Elaina hardly ever gets sick. I know she'll be fine, but when she gets sick, she gets it bad."

"I can go check on her during the day if it'll make you feel better," Evie suggested.

"I think I'd like that. I think Elaina would like that too."

The school day began just like every other day. Brelyn informed Jacey and Cayla of Elaina's condition; they too were very worried for her. Brelyn was still a little on edge about her newly developed powers. She either kept her hands in fists or held something to prevent any power surges. During one of her classes, she even felt a magic surge run through her. She took deep breathes and held her hands close to her chest.

Lunch came very quickly; Brelyn was very relieved about that. She walked over to their lunch table when she noticed something. "Where's Cayla?"

"She had an extremely bad headache," Aria told her. "The biology teacher allowed her to go back to her dorm to rest."

"I hope she's okay," Mallory added.

"Me too," Jacey said.

"Weird," Brelyn thought to herself as she remembered Elaina mentioned her head hurting. "First Elaina, now Cayla. Something is going on."

The group of friends continued to eat their lunch. Brelyn looked at Jacey; something was off. Jacey was red in the face and began sweating. Jacey kind of just picked at her food instead of eating it. Brelyn could tell something was up. "Are you okay, Jacey?" she whispered.