chapter 7

CHAPTER 7. THERE IS NO HOPE IF YOUR NOT IN IT.

CASPIAN.

My mother smelled of earth, because she was earth. She smelled of dirt and grass and fragrant wild flowers. She smelled of the days when it rained and how they smelt when it stopped. She smelled of sunshine and bumble bees, and everything in between. She smelled of love itself, the truest and purest love alive. To be the affinity of earth, you possessed the the affinities of love, beauty and creation .

While Mother soothed me, the most peculiar thing occurred. She suddenly became still, she no longer rocked, sang or soothed. I opened my eyes, unsure of the matter, and I saw Ezra. He was in the middle of pacing when he began slowing like he was treading through tar, he then stopped completely, becoming still as stone. Mother resumed her previous movements and a bubble appeared around us. This bubble was clear but visible somehow, like the bubbles human children played in backyards with.

"I have cast, what you may call an alternate, I carefully laid the same image we were just in, in place on repeat, if you will. That is all Ezra will be able to see. It doesn't last long, I'm using too much strength as it is." Mother's words were hurried, hushed and distressed.  

"Caspian, you must listen to me carefully. We have but moments, before our protection wears off." The urgency in which she spoke, shook me to my core. Baffled I was. "Mother what do you mean? What protection?" I asked, trying to make sense of what was happening.

"Caspian, there is no time! Ezra will notice something is amiss when the projected image I cast, quivers. He mustn't know what I'm about to tell you now." Mother paused just a fraction of a second before continuing. "Ezra, dear Ezra is most loved and most trusted by you, yes, but he is also your Father's son. He will not keep even the most benign of things from him, he is not like you. You are unlike anything I have ever seen, which is why this matter is of dire importance. I believe you, I am unsure of what Samantha's destiny truly holds, what I do know is it has nothing to do with that accident. You must know, what I do now, is against everything. But there is hope my son, follow the signs. Listen closely. I will assist you again, when I'm able.

"One more thing, when I freeze, Ezra will begin moving again-he has no idea he has stopped- It is when I move again that you must act as if nothing has happened. Do you understand my son? Everything you ask and hope for, is on the line. I will always be with you. Listen..." With that, she laid a delicate kiss upon my forehead and everything she just stated, happened.The charade rewound, my mother froze, Ezra moved once again, then mother began moving as well.

"My sons, I must bid you farewell. I cannot stay any longer, as you are well aware of, but I will miss you. Please know, I will never be far. Be well my dears..." Her silvery, angelic voice faded into the wind, her corporeal form dissipated . It floated and flew in the light warm breeze, accompanied by a shimmering gold mist. The ground quaked once more and the golden mist of my mother drifted in into the earth's cracks. The sand that had fallen, arose and put itself back to its original place.

The cracks came together and the earth healed herself. The quaking ceased, as did the sand filled funnels around us. I felt whole again, as my mother had intended but, I was left baffled. Confused more so, than before I arrived. I had forgotten I was still seated upon the earth's floor, when Ezra placed his hand on my shoulder and offered his other hand as a help up. "Come brother, 'tis time, we must go." Ezra said with the utmost sincerity. I appreciatively accepted his hand, together we rose. 

"I feel our brethren are approaching. They are still a ways away, if we are to evade them well, we must be on our way." He said. I looked up at him, his face a mask of beauty, of utter sincerity. Were we so different? I thought. Mother's words were ringing clear in my mind, 'Ezra is your Father's son...' Shaking it all away, to get back to the matter at hand. "Yes, we must. Nevada, you know where." I said aloud so he could follow me there.