CHAPTER 6

• Dedicated to DUNKIN' DONUTS

CHAPTER 6. SOMETHING SMALL, TO FILL MY LARGE, GAPING HOLE. ALMOST.

Samantha.

Jace and I sat there and talked a bit that night, then the party goers left and so did he. He was sweet I guess. But I couldn't really, truly care. The hole inside of me was too large, too jagged, to be sewn together. I don't know why, or how it got there, but nestled within me, it made a cozy bed of despair. I put on a great front for my friends, all except one. Tiffany. She knew, because she knows me, only someone close could. But someone closer.... No. I won't think of-not of him.

Jace asked for my number and I was very reluctant to give it to him, but I did. He called a few times after that night, and sometimes, I spoke to him. Other days I made-when I say me, I mean I made Tiff-make an excuse. "You can't keep lying sam. Why won't you just speak to him? You said yourself he was nice. So spill!"

"Tiff I can't... I can't really explain... I just don't..." I fumbled to find the words. I didn't really know why, but I knew that talking to Jace, was just something I didn't want. "You can't? Or you wont? Because what i'm really hearing is that you're a coward. That you won't talk to him because you don't wanna get close. And that is not a good reason." Tiff said. I knew she meant well, she always does, and honestly, she's right.

I hate it, but she's right.

So instead, I just crossed my arms into my chest like a three year old having a tantrum. I pouted my lips and turned my head away. There, I feel better.

Tiff walked over to the entryway, to my sidewall table, and retrieved my home phone. She stomped back over to where I sat in my tantrum, held the phone out in front of her and started dialing. Probably calling Robby. Again, I thought.

Suddenly, I heard the phone ringing and she held it out to me and said "Here! You better hurry, I just dialed Jace."

"No! You can't be serious! What the hell are you doing?" I shouted, panicking, I was panicking. But Tiffany could care less, she persisted on. She took my hand and stuck the phone in it and said, "Take it now befo-" Tiff stopped dead in her retort, and I, in my protest. On the other line we heard a "yo!.... Hello?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CASPIAN.

"This can't be right? Are you sure Ezra?" I couldn't believe the words, I would not. "Caspian, you can be rest assured that what I tell you is truth. For Father has spoken it long ago, tis law." said Ezra. My beloved, most trusted brother. After fleeing from the hospital where Samantha stayed, I had to send word to Ezra, he, alas my only hope. But I didn't want to hear what he had spoken.

"Then, is there no hope my brother?" My words, as was my temperament, were crazed. I looked on to my brother hoping, pleading, praying that this time, I would hear a different answer. He just looked on at me, then with the slightest tilt of his head and I knew... "How can you tell me that there is no hope! There must be a way! Samantha has to live I feel it!" I pleaded, going against every fiber in my being. It wasn't just me, we were all created this way, us Angels. We followed what was essentially written in our books, our destiny from creation. There is no inbetween. Unless...unless you count me.

"Caspian! Calm yourself! Brother, there is no other way. You must listen to me now!... tis written."

As Angels, our sole purpose is to watch, listen and learn, that is all. Until that is, the end of our charge. Each human has an Angel, assigned just a moment before conception. I suppose you could call it a web of sorts, a web of destiny for the humans, if you will.