Chapter 11 ~ Outside of Khartoum (Edited)

Tasha

I repeated the serenity prayer over and over again.

Sasha would recite it to me for hours when our mother flipped out. One day she had gotten so drunk, that she hit me with the handle of the broom because I took the last bag of chips. It came across my back so hard it broke in half. The noise from the wood splitting vibrated in my head.

Sasha had just came home as I had managed to crawl to my bed and laid down. Sasha came in and laid down beside me.

"Tasha what happened?" she asked.

"I took the last bag of chips. I was so hungry. She yelled at me for taking them. I was so hungry," I said starting to cry.

"Shh Tasha, don't let her hear you."
Sasha got up and closed the door.

"Close your eyes Tasha," she said getting in the bed next to me and putting her arms around me. "Let's say it on the count of three."

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
enjoying one moment at a time;
accepting hardships as the pathway to peace; taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it;
trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His Will;
that I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with Him
forever in the next.
Amen.

Those were the words that took the gloom away. How could such words turn a frown upside down? It was the words that engulfed me with binding love that I could make it through anything and no matter what was thrown at me I would conquer my fears.

The vehicle stopped as the hot molten sun pounced off the sky as it's sun rays beat down upon my back. Perspiration formed against my breasts as my jeans were stuck to my legs.

"Get out!" I heard someone scream and I was being pushed out the jeep. The blindfold was still tight around my eyes and my hands were still confined.

You can get through this, keep your wits about you, I heard my inner voice say.

Someone walked up to me and took off my blindfold. I had no idea where I was. I looked around and I was surrounded with mud huts and animals. I had to remember I wasn't in the Big Easy anymore.

People walked up to me taking in my appearance. The women came up to me and touched my hair. Although I am black, I was still a foreigner to them. As their skin was dark and smooth, mine was the color of fawn with a mixture of red tint. I wasn't white but I wasn't quite black either.

They spoke in their native language as Benny pushed me in the hut.

The small hut had a pile of straw on the side with a long cloth that I guessed was a blanket. The thatch roof was only three or four inches above my head and I could still see the sun beaming through. There were a few small stools and a bag of grain in the other corner of the room.

There wasn't a door or window shutters that could keep the elements away but it did protect us for the time being. I saw small insects crawling along the wood. They would gnaw on the wood and continue on until they disappeared. They didn't scare me, because My mama had roaches twice their sizes living in the house.

"Sit!" Benny yelled at me.

"Look, you don't have to yell at me. My hands are tied and I have no idea where I am so can you lose the fucking male chauvinist attitude. You Tarzan, me Jane. I get it!"