I Spun the Bottle: Chapter Nineteen

Song for this chapter: “Bottle It Up” by Sara Barielles

          “A-are you serious?” I managed to choke out in a mangled voice. I was stuck between feeling betrayed and being furious.

          The fact was this: David was the male equivalent to Taylor. It made perfect sense now why they were going out.

          “Of course,” he replied, the corners of his mouth lifted up ever so slightly into a barely visible smug smirk.

          I bit my lower lip until I was sure I could taste my copper-flavored blood. “What’s your condition?” I finally asked, lowering my eyes to the floor.

          “It’s just one tiny favor.” The corner of David’s lips seemed to curve up into a steeper slant. There was a strange, mischievous glimmer in his eyes.

          “Why don’t I believe that,” I retorted in a low voice.

          David must have heard my undertone comment because he frowned. “What you don’t trust me?”

          Hearing his words, my eyes snapped back up to his. I glared at him, mustering up all the hatred I had towards him. I snapped. “Do I trust you? Are you seriously asking me that? Why would I ever trust you! You are nothing more than a condescending, degradable, selfish jerk I have ever met.” A shaky breath of air pressed through my lungs before I continued. “All I wanted was to get through high school on a low profile. Now, because of your bitch of a girlfriend took that damn picture it’s ruined! Now to make matters worse, you also have that picture! You ‘befriended’ me just to find out what she had against me, didn’t you!?”

          My words started morphing together, becoming one giant glob of words. My eyes began to sting, and I didn’t know whether it was from anger or hurt, but I managed to keep a single drop from falling. The last thing I wanted to do was cry in front of the one person I thought I was developing feelings for.

          “Did you just cuss?” David raised an inquisitive brow at me, almost as if he didn’t hear another  word of my monologue.

         “You’re a jerk!” I raised my voice two notches louder than it should have been, and he seemed to notice it.

          “Shhh!” David held his right index finger in front of his mouth. “You’re making a scene again. If the teachers find us, we might get a detention. You don’t want that now, do you, Miss Goodie Two Shoes?”

          “Don’t call me that,” I demanded. Right now, I really hated that nickname with such a passion.

          “Oh yeah? Maybe I should call you…Carrot instead?”  David watched me with a mocking manner, waiting knowingly for my reaction.

          “W-where did you hear that!?” I narrowed my eyes at him. There was only one person that knew that nickname, and that was Austin.

          An evil smirk filled his features. “I may have overheard an interesting conversation the other day.”

          “In other words you eavesdropped on Austin and me.” I accused, a grim feeling washing over me. This was why I knew I shouldn’t have told Austin that.

          “What?” he gasped in an overdramatic girly manner. “Me? Do that?”

          I could hardly stop myself from rolling my eyes. “Shut up. It’s not funny—you’re not funny.  Just tell me what you want me to do. The bell’s going to ring soon,” I told him, glancing at a nearby clock. There was only about five more minutes left in lunch. We were out here longer than I thought.