I Spun the Bottle: Chapter Eleven

Song for this chapter: “It Will Rain” by Bruno Mars

               All three of us in the room didn’t move, or even let out a breath of air. My brother’s face was tense, frozen, and completely rigid, but I didn’t know why. It was an expression that I’ve never seen him use before, even when he was angry at something. We silently dared each other to shatter the silence first, and I took that dare head-on.

               “Landon,” I started, my voice strained when his familiar blue eyes darted to me. “Uhm, hi.”

               This started a series of emotions to flit across his face, too fast for me to make out any in particular, until he finally settled on irritation. “Hi? Lyn, this isn’t the best time to say hi.”

               Landon closed the distance between us, and took my face into his right palm. His fingertips brushing pass a new forming scab on my cheek from when I fell on the sand at the beach. He clucked his tongue, and muttered a few words under his breath.  “What happened to your face? It’s scratched. Did he do this? Huh?” Landon shot a look at David, but I couldn’t tell what kind.

               I pushed his hand away from my face, giving him a look. “No, he didn’t do this to me. I’m just a klutz, and stop staring at him.” I added, when Landon didn’t turn back to me.

              “You little punk. Who the hell do you think you are? Where did you take my sister? What did you do to her? Did you touch hurt her?” David was bombarded with dozens of questions, and I just sat there helpless, waiting for Landon to get over his tirade.

               David didn’t seem fazed by my older brother; in fact, he seemed to almost be enjoying it. When Landon finally shut up after his—I don’t know how many—questions, David glanced at me and winked. I let out a sigh, seeing a muscle in Landon’s jaw bulged as he clenched his teeth together.

               “You know what? Skip all the other questions; I want to know who the hell you are.” He growled, stepping closer to David. As Landon did that, one of his legs accidently brushed against my swollen ankle.

               I let out a hiss of pain, feeling the surge of electricity run through my ankle again. This made Landon turn around to inspect me. His eyes scanned me, looking for anything out of place, and his eyes landed on my right ankle.

               “Holy shit, Lyn!” He bellowed, bending down to take a hold of my foot gingerly. “What happened?”

                I grinned sheepishly and simply said. “I fell.”

               His face dropped. “You fell? How do you fall and do this to your foot? Look at it! It’s the size of a freaking watermelon!”

               “Nice analogy,” I muttered, frowning.

               “Can you walk?” My brother said, ignoring my comment.

               I opened my mouth to answer, but David beat me to it. “No, she can’t walk. I offered to take her to the hospital last night, but she said no.”

               Landon’s blue eyes snapped back to David, staring at him. “Well then you should have dragged her there! I mean have you seen it? It’s bigger than a hippo!”

               I frowned again at his terrible analogy. It definitely was not big enough to be a hippo, or even a watermelon.

               “I wasn’t about to make her do something she didn’t want to do.” David replied smoothly, but that made me think about how he tried to bargain me to kiss him last night.