I Spun the Bottle: Chapter Four

Song for this chapter: “All or Nothing” by Theory of a Deadman

               I sat in Taylor’s car, shifting uncomfortably in the new clothes she lent me. It made no sense to me why I had to dress up. It wasn’t like I was going there to have fun. Besides, I was pretty sure there’s a law against showing this much skin. I used my hands to pull down the mini skirt that was way too small to even be defined as a “mini skirt”. It was like as if I wrapped a layer of tape around my bum.

               I leaned my elbow against the armrest and let my face rest lightly in my left hand.

               “Don’t touch your face, you’ll smear the make-up.” Taylor ordered, talking for the first time since we entered the car.

               I let out a frustrated sigh, but did what she asked. “I want to take the make-up off. Don’t you have any of that wipey stuff with you?”

                “God, I swear, all you do is complain! I spent like twenty minutes trying to make you look at least noticeable, and you want to take it off now? Ugh, talk about annoying,” she said, exhaling a sharp breath as soon as she finished her mini monologue.

                It was my turn to say something. “Look, I did not want to change clothes, I did not want to put on make-up, and I did not even want to go here! So, if you still want a ride home, just—just shut the heck up!”

               “Whatever,”

              “Fine,” I finished, closing this conversation completely. If she wouldn’t give me a make-up wipe then I would use, if I really had to, the freezing cold ocean water to take it off.

              The ride was close to unbearable as we drew closer and closer to the beach. I knew we were close when I could smell the salty ocean. It tickled my nostrils as I inhaled a deep breath. The beach usually was a beautiful place, and I would go here all the time with my family when I was young, but now it looked ominous. It was dark, and if there weren’t any lights on from the street lamps then we would be in pitch black, darkness.

              Taylor parked her car in the parking lot where there were about two dozen other cars. She hummed to herself as she stepped out of her Porsche. I followed her example, although I wasn’t humming happily. As soon as my door clicked into place Taylor pressed a button on her car keys, locking the doors.

              “C’mon, square, move those feet.” She ordered, walking ahead of me.

               I took a couple of steps and then stumbled. The high heels she gave me were killing my feet. I grumbled to myself for a few moments before stooping down and pulling them off my sore feet. This was a beach party wasn’t it? Why would you need high heels to walk in the sand?!

              I held the high heels in my right arm as I tried to see where Taylor had gone. My eyebrows scrunched in confusion as I located her climbing up a rocky hill. The hill seemed to be about fifty feet high, and she was moving fast. Why was she going up there?

              “Hey, square! Hurry up, you’re slowing me down.” She called to me as she took another step up the hill.

              I nodded, watching her still in a confused daze. I didn’t think anyone would be able to climb up something so high in heels. Taylor’s heels seemed to be at least three inches and mine was only one and a half and I already knew I couldn’t make it up there if I had them on. I trudged towards the base of the hill and started climbing it just like she was doing. Taylor was already more than half-way to the top when I was about a few feet in.