I Spun the Bottle: Chapter Twelve

Song for this chapter: “Perfect” by Marianas Trench

               As I walked to my locker, a hand touched my shoulder. I turned around to come face to face with a pair of light blue eyes. I smiled up at him, my cheeks involuntarily tinting a light shade of pink.

               “Hey Lyn!” Jace greeted me warmly with a cheery smile, before his eyes landed on the brace on my right ankle. “Is it broken?”

               I shook my head side to side, hobbling a few steps forward. “No, just badly sprained. The doctor said I have to keep it on for at least a couple weeks.”

               “Oh, that must suck.”

               “A little. It’s kind of hard getting around, and people like to stare at me.” I said, noticing that my locker was now in view.

               Jace’s warm hand grabbed my shoulder, lightly. “I bet they’re just thinking you’re cute.”

              My face heated up again at his compliment, and I shook my head to the side vehemently. “I don’t think so.”

               I seriously needed to get used to the feeling of being complimented so out of the blue. It seemed like Jace was the only one who could get this type of feeling out of me. We made it to my locker, and I opened it within ten seconds. While I shuffled through my school supplies, I was very aware of Jace’s eyes following my every move.

               Finally pulling out my English textbook, I shoved my backpack into my locker, closing and locking the door afterwards. The bell rang just as soon my locker was shut. With my textbook and writing utensils in hand, I started towards my classroom with Jace dogging behind me.

               “Oh yeah, I have your shirt.” I bit my lip, realizing that I forgot it at home. “I’ll bring it to you tomorrow?”

               “Sure, sorry it wasn’t very warm. It was the best I could do.” He grinned at me, dodging a group of girls passing by us.

               I shook my head. “No, it was fine. It was better than being in freezing clothes all night.”

               “That’s true. So, does Taylor know that you didn’t take her home, yet?” He asked, eyeing me from the corner of his eye.

               I smiled wryly. “I don’t think so. Do you think she’ll be mad?”

               “Maybe. You did spend the night with David, her boyfriend.”

               “How do you know about that?” I demanded, my fingers starting to feel clammy.

               We entered the class at the same time, and we sat in our assigned seats, passing through the chattering groups of students. I placed my stuff on the desk before carefully sitting down in the seat, making sure my brace didn’t bang against anything.

               “David told Cam and me the other day. He said something around the lines of you being very cranky.” Jace said, shifting a little so he was angled towards me.

               “He’s such a jerk. I didn’t even want to stay at his house, but he wanted me to ki—“ I abruptly shut my mouth, covering it with both of my hands, really not wanting to tell Jace that David tried to bargain a kiss from me.