I Spun the Bottle: Chapter Seven

Song for this Chapter: “Turning Tables” by Adele

                     “No no no no no!” I shook my head side to side as fast as I could without giving myself whiplash. “Would you guys please stop asking me now? I already said that I’m not going to say yes.”

                     “Lyn!” The red-headed girl, who I now knew what her name was Penny, frowned at me. “The game isn’t that hard to play. All you have to do is spin the bottle and then when it lands on that person yo—“

                     “I know how to play. I just don’t want to play. Really, I don’t mind just watching you guys—and see, look you’re holding the game up already.” I interrupted her, gesturing to the formed circle behind her that was waiting impatiently to start the game.

                    She followed my gaze and sighed. The red head now realized that I wasn’t going to change my decision anytime soon.

                     “You’ve never been kissed before have you.” Penny said more than asked, lifting her gaze from the floor.

                     My face flushed red, and acted as an answer to her true accusation. I didn’t get a word out before she began giggling. I slapped my hands to my cheeks, trying to get the evidence away from my face, and tried to keep my face straight.

                    “It’s not like this’ll count as your first kiss Lyn, it’s just for fun. Why don’t you think of it just as practice?” Cam suggested. I noted that he was trying to keep a straight face, probably to keep me from feeling bad, but it was failing miserably because underneath his thin layer of deception laid a smirk.

                    “But it’s not practice.” I deadpanned.

                    “I said think of it as practice.”

                    “But it isn’t.”

                    “Just think of it that way.”

                    “But it still won’t be.”

                    “God, Lyn. Are you always like this?” Cam brought a hand up to his face, pinching the bridge of his nose.

                   “Like what? Thinking things through and showing that I’m the only one here that’s being responsible.” I demanded, shooting him a grim look.

                  “Yes! Exactly like that! You never let loose. You’re at a high school party for crying out loud. Mamma and Papa don’t even know you’re here, so why not let loose huh? Why not for the first time in your life enjoy a party? It’s probably the last time you’ll ever get out anyways.” Once last of his words came out of Cam’s mouth, he almost instantly looked guilty.

                   “Oh, shit, sorry Lyn. I-I didn’t mean tha—“

                   I brought a hand up to stop his apology dead in its tracks. “No, it’s fine.”

                  Cam’s almost harsh words seeped through the goodie two shoe barriers I always held up, and made their way to the irrational part of my brain, the part that I usually kept under lockdown day and night. He was absolutely right. My Mom and Dad didn’t know where I was. For all they knew, I was still at home sleeping the night away. And when was the next time I was going to sneak out of the house and go to another high school party?