I Spun the Bottle: Chapter Fifteen

Song for this chapter: “A Thousand Years” by Christina Perri

Honk! Honk!

               I bounded up from the couch at the sound of a loud, beeping horn, and I assumed that Penny was here. I slung my backpack, filled with things that I thought I might need tonight and tomorrow, over my shoulder and headed for the door. On my way out, I grabbed a thin, light blue jacket, thinking it would suffice if I decided to go outside and it was chilly.

               It didn’t take me long to notice the silver Toyota Camry parked in my driveway. A familiar redhead rolled down the driver’s tinted windows and grinned at me. I returned the smile with one of my own before I started for the passenger’s side.

               Just as soon as I opened the door, I noticed the sound of the radio playing at a very low volume. I easily recognized the song as A Thousand Years by Christina Perri. This song had been one of my favorites since the very first time I ever heard it. In one quick motion, I slid into the grey leather seat, dropping the backpack in the foot space.

               “Hey, Lyn! I’m a little early aren’t I?” Penny said, grinning sheepishly at me.

               I waved my hand in front of my face dismissively. “Hi, and it’s okay. Oh and thanks for the ride.”

               Backing out of the driveway, she shook her head. “No problem. I’m just so glad you’re coming!”

               “Really?” I asked doubtfully. Her words seemed sincere, but it was hard to believe that someone like her would care whether I went or not.

               “Really,” she nodded her head up and down once. “I need someone to make sure I don’t get too drunk tonight. It wouldn’t be good if I looked like a total idiot at my birthday party.”

               “Oh,” I sighed, feeling my smile waver. So she’s just using me?

               Penny nudged me with her elbow. “I was kidding.”

                It took a minute for her words to sink in, but once they did, I felt so dumb. Penny was definitely not in any way like Taylor or Stacy. She was kind, funny, and just a little weird (in a good way), not mean, sarcastic, and absolutely annoying.

               “Oh, ha ha. I knew that.” I scratched the back of my head awkwardly, trying to cover up my lack of belief in my… friend.

               “Sure you did.” She eyed me from the corner of her eyes, a smile forming at the corner of her lips. “So, what’d your parents say when you asked?”

               “I only asked my dad, and he said that I should start making my own decision because I was mature enough.” I smiled wryly, thinking about the conversation from yesterday.

               I am most definitely not mature.

               “That’s good right?” Penny inquired, making a sharp right turn.

               “I guess.”

               “You guess?”

               “Yeah,” I shrugged, trying to be indifferent. I didn’t want to tell Penny that I was feeling a little bit guilty for lying to my dad. Then she’d feel guilty for making me lie. It was better if I just kept it to myself.