Falling Hard - Chapter 33

Chapter 33

                *Zayn’s POV*

                I was shivering and shaking madly. I had blankets upon blankets piled on top of me, but I couldn’t control my shaking. Every ten seconds reality hit me like a brick in the face – Katelyn may not be okay. Tears had not stopped flowing for the two and a half hours I’d sat next to her, holding her limp, pale hand.

                Katie’s skin was unnaturally pale, but her chest was rising and falling properly. She was in a medically induced coma to reduce her struggle to breathe because her lungs had been filled with water. They’d been drained, and she would wake up…eventually. The doctors predict two to three hours, but hopefully it would be sooner… I can’t stand not hearing her lovely voice, her chiming laugh, seeing her lively, happy…for more than a couple hours at a time. It was slowly killing me.

                I squeezed her hand lightly and, with my other hand, brushed a bright red strand of hair out of her expressionless face. “Katie…” I whispered against the skin of her forehead, “Be okay…for me…” I kissed her forehead but kept my grip on her hand as a tear excaped and slid down my face. “Please, be okay…”

                “She’ll be fine, Zayn… She will wake up… We must be strong for her…Zayn… Never give up faith.” I turned, surprised to head another voice, and was greeted with Addison’s sad, but smiling tear streaked face. Addy walked in and sat on the other side of Katie’s bed, gripping her other hand and whispered, “Never, ever give up faith.”

                A nurse walked in and took Katelyn’s vitals, monitored her breathing for a moment, and then wrote it all down, walking out of the room. Wow… No reports on her health or anything… Thanks so much… I thought sarcastically. Some people are so inconsiderate.

                That’s how Addy and I sat for another few hours, the boys and Ian trickling in and out making us eat and drink, or just seeing if Katie is awake or her status has changed at all. I put my head in my hands and muttered, “I shouldn’t have left her… This is all my fault… I should have stayed with her.”

                “Zayn! Don’t you dare blame this on yourself!” Addison replied fiercely, “It was Ashley’s fault… No, Ashley’s PLAN! She wanted Katelyn to die because she broke up the ‘happy go lucky’ couple her Harry had become. That’s what she wanted the whole time! We’re lucky you took action so flacking quickly. I was frozen in shock, fear, overall anger that my best friend was drowning in front of my eyes. Niall was the same… I imagine all of us were but you!” Addison paused for a moment, hiccoughing, before continuing, “We’re only in here, waiting for Katie to wake because of you.”

                I sighed deeply. “But I still feel like an idiot… I shouldn’t have shaken her off, I shouldn’t have left... I feel like guilt is eating me inside out… It’s the wor –”

                “Will you two stop bickering?”

                My head snapped towards the door, but there was no one standing there. I picked apart the voice that had just rang through the hospital room… It was scratchy, thick with sleep… It was also feminine… My eyes filled with tears and I squeezed the hand that filled mine… “Katie…”

                *Katelyn’s POV*

                I was currently walking endlessly through darkness. My subconscious refused to let picture entertain me. So I just stopped wandering, lay down on my back and allowed the darkness to swallow me. I probably should have resisted, but my body was so fatigued I couldn’t stand for one more second.

                “Katie?” A familiar voice pierced the incredibly unbearable silence. The voice was muffled, and distant, scratchy and unhinged, but still familiar all the while. It was undeniably masculine, and the singsong manner in which he spoke gave him away even without the British accent.

                It was Zayn.

                I wanted to call out, “ZAYN! I’m okay! It’ll be okay!” but when I tried to speak, my mouth remained shut, as if my palette were glued in place. I stomped my foot in frustration and circled in the same spot of blackness over and over again until another voice made its self heard, this time famine.

                “We’re only here, waiting for Katie to wake up because of you.” The voice was once again distant and only half the words came through, like a broken PA speaker, it switched from strong to weak to nothing back to strong with every word. It came out more as, “We on re, aitin fo atie o wak up becau sof ou.” But I interpreted it as the first line. It was comforting, soothing just to hear another human voice.

                Another rang through, this one crisper, stronger, and clearer than the last – it was Zayn yet again, “I feel like guilt is eating me inside out… It’s the wor –”

                I tried my voice again and this time it worked. The blackness was dispersing. I was surfacing in reality, thank god. “Will you two stop bickering?” I tried to open my eyes to no avail, but I persevered and eventually I managed to get them open the slightest bit. Sadly, the sudden brightness hit me like a slap to the face and I winced horribly.

                “Katie?” Zayn called me and squeezed my hand lightly. I squeezed back briefly, loose because I have no strength. I was tired, fatigued, out of it. I was so weak – so frail it was hardly bearable. “Katie… You’re – you’re o – okay…” Zayn sobbed and wrapped me in a hug which I could not return, I had hardly any feeling in my arms.

                A nurse scrambled in and scolded Zayn, “SIR, put the patient down! PLEASE, SIRE, she needs REST!” Zayn sets me down but kept hold of my hand, he would not let go of my hand. “Katelyn Wright, correct?” I nod and she proceeds, “Who are these people in this room right now?”

                “Zayn Malik, best friend, in a famous boy band, One Direction.” I replied as I swiveled to the other side, looking at the girl next to me, “Addison Lovelace, long time family friend, best friend ever.” She was obviously checking my memory, and I’ll answer anything to get out of this damn hospital.

                “Okay, let me get the doctor to check your response times, vitals and such. Please,” the nurse practically begged Zayn, “don’t touch the patient…she’s in a very serious stage right now, despite being able to move slightly. So please, just leave her be.”

                Zayn mumbled an ‘okay’ while smiling down at me like an idiot. “Katie… You made it.” Tear glistened in his chocolate brown eyes, and one slid down his cheek, pooling just below his lower lip. “I’m going to ca –”   four teenage boys and one man barged into the room and made a circle around me, cutting Zayn off completely, “never mind, seems they know.”

                Addison smirks and says, “Power of a group text message, Zayn, learn it.”

                Oh man. I was glad to be back.

AUTHORS NOTE:

IS ANYONE ELSE HAPPY?! OR IS IT JUST ME?!

Only like two or three more chapter left :(

IT PAINS ME TO LET THIS FANFIC END D:

BUT I’VE GOT OTHER PLANS FOR 3, OR 4 other fanfics! AND I’M EXCITED FOR THEM! :D Comment if you’d read them… for me? (:

Please, vote, comment improvements, tweet me @OurHeartsWith1D, or fan and post on my message board…I’D LOVE YOU ALL FOREVER!

Okay, GOOD BYE NOW! :D

-Cadie

I didn't realize how not long this one is... IT SEEMED LONGER OKAY, DON'T GET MAD AT ME! D: