Falling Hard - Chapter 35 - The End

Chapter 35

                *Zayn’s POV*

                Katelyn looks down at her lap as I sit next to her. “What is it, Katie? We talked not even half an hour a go…” Katelyn flushes a deep shade of red and continues to stare her hands that are tangled in her lap. Something’s definitely wrong.

                I lean forward and put my index and middle finger under her chin, making her jolt a little, but lift her head at the same time. Katelyn’s eyes start to water and a tear spills down her cheek. “I – I – I,” she stutters, “I – I lo –”

                I can’t deal with this anymore. Katelyn’s too broken. I need to tell her how I feel. “I love you, Katelyn Wright, and I will forever.” I interrupt her. Katelyn looks startled, and when I look into her beautiful green eyes she’s crying even more. I know what to do…From the moment I met you, everything changed. I knew I had to get you, whatever the pain. I had to take you and make you mine!” I start to sing out the words of Stand Up because it describes what I’ve felt for the last year and a bit. “I would walk through the desert; I would walk down the aisle. I would swim all the oceans just to see you smile. Whatever it takes its fine!

                “Oh, oh, oh, woah, oh, oh! So put your hands up! Oh, oh, oh, woah, oh, oh! ‘Cause it’s a stand up! And I won’t be leaving till I finish stealing every piece of your heart…” I start to trail off when Katelyn finally glances up from her lap and looks me in the eye. “Zayn…”

                She starts to say, but I cut in again, “That song, is what I’ve been feeling for the past year. All I wanted on tour was you, all I want now is you. I can never replace you. Ever. I picked you up that one night in the field and I made a speech about everything I’ve ever felt. You didn’t hear any of it, but this is basically what I said. I don’t care if you’re my friend, girlfriend, enemy, I will forever love you, forever and always. But you can’t see it! I try to make it so obvious that I still love you… But you just choose to ignore it, or can’t see it, plain and simple! Katelyn Anne Wright, I love you and I always will. I will never, and can never replace you.”

                There. I did it. I said everything I’ve always wanted to say to her. Tears stream down my face, and I don’t bother wiping them away. I want her to see that I mean every word I just said. I want her to know that I love her so much it hurts. She’s happy, I’m happy, she’s broken, well, I’m sure as hell not fin – and without her, I don’t think I ever will be.

                Katelyn mumbles something inaudible and I ask her what it was, “I LOVE YOU TOO! Okay, Zayn? I always have! ALWAYS! The moment I met you, you made everything I saw in life different. I saw my best friend for the evil witch she is and I saw One Direction as the most beautiful, talented band ever. When I shook your hand, I tried to ignore the sparks and sudden drop my heart made, when I held your hand I chose to ignore how perfectly they fit together, when I hugged you, I never wanted to leave, but I never, not once, until Ashley pulled an Ashley at the concert, did I want to admit to anyone, or myself for that matter, that I l – loved y – you.”

                Katelyn takes a shaky breath, wipes her eyes and continues, I don’t bother interrupting her, I’m frozen in shock, my mouth won’t work and I’m finding it difficult to breathe… “I knew Ashley had kissed you, but I’d felt betrayed. I never wanted to date, or trust a big superstar, and I always slept in fear because I knew that everywhere you went you’d have girls throwing themselves at you. You could have done so much better than me, and I didn’t want myself to get hurt; that’s why I threw the blame on you.