Chapter Thirty - Eight

Previously in What's a Mutant:

Everyone discovers that Dylan has been leaking information to the Brotherhood in order to get close to and resuce his little sister. She is now free, while he faces the X-Men, only to learn that he never truly betrayed them, but was working with Professor X to act as a double agent for the X-Men. Now, with all the memebers slightly shaken by not only what accorded with Dylan, but the recent capture by the military, no one knows who to trust.

In other news Breeze is going to spend some time with Wade...

Chapter 38:

~Breeze~

                “So what is the plan?” I asked as we walked into the garden. It was dark outside, the crescent moon sat high in the sky, watching over the Earth in the Sun’s absences.

                “I honestly don’t know,” Wade sighed. “I am worried about all that is happening. I mean, Dylan being a spy? Why do we even need one? It does not make sense to me. I thought this all would be simpler. We fight the Brotherhood calmly without hurting humans, but then we captured by a bunch of brainwashed army men. Now Dylan thought he was a double agent, but he is really working for us. I mean, how do you two even comprehend what is happening when telepaths have been playing with your mind?” He looked at me sadly.

                “We don’t. It’s more like just going with the flow, I think. After all, I had no knowledge of what was happening to me. That makes Dylan and my situation different. He was himself, but he knew that he wasn’t. I don’t really know how to explain it.”

                “True,” he said with a nod. “And I think I understand.”

                We were just walking the grounds around the building. More than anything, I was just following Wade as he walked. He started heading for the lake, and I stayed by his side.

                “Breeze…or do you prefer Julia now?” he looked down at me with a soft expression.

                “You know, I think you are the first person to ask me that.” I shrugged. “Honestly, I do not care. As far as I can tell they are both my name. Call me either one. Helena leans towards Julia, but Sean calls me Breeze only.”

                “Sean does not completely accept what you are, does he?”

                I gave him a hard stare. “We are not here to talk about my relationship with Sean. We are here because Professor X asked us to work together on this, so we are going to. Between your fighting skills and my mind that has been programmed for strategy; we would make a great team. The Brotherhood is moving and I need to know you are on our side.”

                He raised an eyebrow at me. “Whose side would I be on if not? The Brotherhood? Please, I don’t like the way we are treated and I may seem like a violent person, but I actually care about humans. As far as I see it, there are several types of birds. Some are stronger than others, but they are all closely related. Humans are the same, we just happen to be a stronger breed. And there is no denying we are stronger.”

                “I wasn’t going to,” I said.

                We walked in silence for a while as we reached the dock and took a seat on the swinging bench. I watched as he looked over the lake, watching as the moonlight reflected on the waves that blew in the wind. He seemed softer than I had ever seen him before.

                “Wade, why do you act so hard all the time?” I asked. “Are you really that aggressive or…?”

                He shrugged. “I am just who I am and I hate people that pretend to be otherwise. That includes you, Julie, you tone down your powers and how you have change when you are around Sean because you know he does not like and will not understand. He wants you to be a human. He doesn’t –“