Chapter Seven

Sean’s lips pressed against mine. I couldn’t move, I couldn’t think, I couldn’t even breathe I was so shocked. His lips moved against mine. My heart jumped so high in my chest I thought it was going to stop. My stomach knotted up, my eyes closed and my mind fogged up. Then, after what felt like a long time but I knew it to only be a few seconds, he pulled away. It was so slow though. His lips seemed to linger on mine as if they couldn’t decide whether they should move away or stay, but they separated from mine.

                As his face moved away from mine I slowly opened my eyes. Looking at him I saw a calm, yet tense look on his face. His eyes fluttered open and he looked at me. His eyes looked about as shocked as I felt. Sean pulled his hands away from my face quickly. I just stood there. I had no idea what the look on my face was, but my mind was racing so fast I didn’t really have time to control what the rest of my body was doing.

                He kissed me! Sean kissed me! What the heck? Why did he do that? What did I think about it? It was so nice. Why was it nice? How come my best friend just kissed me? I liked it! Oh my goodness! Sean surprised kissed me and I liked it! What is my mind thinking?

                Sean and I just kind of stared at each other awkwardly.

                “Um…” he started, but just stopped.

                “Yea…”

                He went over and sat down on the toilet lid like it was a chair. “Holy shit.”

                “Yea,” I said and leaned my back against the wall because my legs were feeling weak. I felt numb. It was weird. I had no idea what to think or say or do or anything. How did people normally react to their best friend surprise kissing them?

                “So, why exactly wouldn’t your parents like me being the reason you couldn’t answer the phone?” Sean asked clearly trying to change the subject on both of our minds.

                “Um…” my mind was blank. What were we even talking about? Right now all I could remember was his lips moving against mine, and me feeling chills going through my body. “My parents?” Our conversation came back to me. “Oh yea, right, um they would think something was going on between us or something along those lines.”

                “Oh,” he said putting his hands on his knees and pressing his lips tightly together.

                “Are you okay?” I asked. My voice sounded shaky. I probably wasn’t the best person to be asking him that question when I didn’t even know the answer for myself.

                “Mhmm,” he said keeping his lips pressed together. He looked very uncomfortable.

                “So um…” How exactly do I say ‘Why did you kiss me?’ in words other than those? “So…Sean…um why did –“

                “Why did I kiss you?” he said not looking at me.