Chapter Ten

Chapter 10

~Sean~

I walked outside. For a moment I just stared at the device in my hand. Hank had invented it so it would be easier for use to communicate. Breeze…what if she was a mutant? The thought plagued me. It was hard for me to act normal around her when that thought burned in the back of my mind.

                Letting out a sigh, I answered the phone.

                “Hello.”

                “Sean! She’s gone! She went outside and…and she is just gone! What am I –“

                “Alex, wait slow down,” I said. “Who’s gone?”

                “Helena! Helena is gone!”

                “What are you talking about? How can she just be gone?”

                On the other end I could hear arguing in the background. I was clearly not the first person he had told about this.

                “I don’t know!” Alex yelled sounding like he was about to break down. It was scary to hear him like that. Normally Alex was the one that stayed calm even when we were in a life or death situation.

                “Okay,” I said. “What exactly happened?”

                Alex took a deep breath. “She walked outside and was sitting under that big tree reading. Do you know what tree I’m talking about?”

                “Yea, go on,” I said wondering why he was asking if I knew about some tree.

                “Well I looked out the window and she was just sitting there reading. Saph said something to me, I turned around answered, turned back around, and Helena was just gone! I wasn’t even turned around for more than thirty seconds. We have been looking for her, we even went up in the helicopter and we searched all the rooms, and Professor X can’t feel her anywhere. Sean, she’s gone! What am I going to do without her?”

                I thought for a moment before answering. I don’t know what I would do without Breeze and I didn’t know her like Alex knew Helena.

                “We are going to get her back, Alex,” I told him. “I promise.”

                “Okay,” he said. There was a pause. “Professor X said you should get back here and to bring Breeze.”

                “Okay, I’ll see you soon.”

                “See you, bye.”

                “Bye.”

                I hung up the phone and looked out into the parking lot. Helena was gone. Even though we didn’t get along and she was pretty annoying I didn’t want her gone. Alex needed her, and…as much as I hated to admit it I she was very strong and a good friend.

                “We will get her back,” I said to myself then went back into Breeze’s apartment. “Breeze!” I called. “There is a problem. We need to go.”

                There was no reply. I walked into her room.

                “Breeze?”

                She wasn’t in there. My heart started pounding in my chest. I quickly ran through the whole apartment, checking every room, but she was gone. We were on the third floor, and all the windows were locked so there was no way she or anyone else could have gone in or out of them.