37- Two Friends

(Jonathan's P.O.V) 

The trickles going down my back were worrying me. Was I really that nervous towards where I was having water falls drenching my whole shirt?

My head viciously pounded with every beat of my heart. I felt more tired than scared or happy, I was more calm - to be exact. I know I should be scared right now, but what good would that do in this situation? 

"Stop! Or I will not hesitate to do this!" Cartoonz yelled out from behind of us.

I didn't know if it was meant to be threatening or not, but I continued to dig my head into Evan's chest. It was the only movement I found comfort in. Besides the fact that he's been completely ignoring me, I still felt this spark flying in me every time I touched him.

Evan suddenly stopped walking and at this moment, I was afraid of what he was staring at. With uneven breaths, I slowly turned my head to stare at what he was gazing at. 

There, at the end of the piles of sticks was Cartoonz and in his hands he held....Tyler's basketball? What was he doing with that and how'd he get it?

I stared, gawking at how fast I remembered that strange looking object. Coming to think of it, I remember Tyler telling me that basketballs were only used for fun. So, what was Cartoonz doing with it, was he trying to look threatening? Does he even know what that object is? 

Cartoonz got into a position, ready to do something bad.

What? I didn't know that. But I knew it had something to do with the basketball.. 

"Good, now turn around and slowly walk over to me. You will not cross this river, even if you wanted to - you couldn't."  Cartoonz said, trying to persuade Evan into thinking that he wouldn't make it to the other side wether he tried or not.

I waited for Evan to turn his head away from him and continue walking, but to my total surprise, Evan turned his whole body towards Cartoonz and slowly took one step towards him. 

This wasn't the Evan that I knew. Evan wouldn't just give up and let someone order him. He always believes in himself...  So why is he following Cartoonz' orders? 

"Evan, no. He's just trying to trick you. Don't listen to him."  I whispered very quietly, tugging on his shirt for dear life. I understood that earlier I tried telling him to stop, but now there was no way we could turn back. Cartoonz is messing every thing up! 

Evan paused and seemed to take in what I had said, because he looked up at Cartoonz with an unsure expression. As if he didn't know which person to listen to: Cartoonz or me? What really happened when I was out this whole time? 

"C'mon, you don't want to drown in that. Let's go."  Cartoonz ordered, way to softly for my liking.

This wasn't the Cartoonz that I knew... What was going on?  Cartoonz was talking to him as if he was a three year old child, delicate and fragile. I narrowed my eyes at Cartoonz, tugging even more on Evan's shirt to get his attention. 

"Evan....please. Don't. Freedom is on the other side, if we don't get there it would be too late."  I pleaded to him, wanting his brown eyes to stare into mine. Just hoping and wishing that he'd look at me. We really needed Tyler... 

"Evan, if you continue walking I will throw this at the pile of sticks below you and it would make you fall down into the river : and you will both drown. You don't want that, do you?"  Cartoonz snickered out to Evan.

Evan was like a string being tugged one way, then the other. It was a tie in his thoughts, maybe even a knot. But all I knew was that I needed to persuade him better than Cartoonz was. And this is the only way: I gently put my hand on his cheek, stroking his smooth skin with my thumb while asking,