Chapter 1

Connor ran out of the computer lab, the letter in hand. He was sure that Evan kid meant for him to see Zoe's name. He ran out of the school, no specific destination in mind.

No one would notice if I just... disappeared, he thought to himself. He flopped down in front of a tall oak tree in the middle of a park.

"Reading the paper wouldn't hurt, would it?" Connor muttered, flattening it out on his knee.

Dear Evan Hansen,

Turns out this wasn't an amazing day after all. This isn't going to be an amazing week or an amazing year, because why would it be?

Wow, this kid was sad. Connor kept reading.

I know, because there's Zoe, and all my hope is pinned on Zoe, who I don't even know, and doesn't know me. Maybe if I could just talk to her. Maybe nothing would be different at all. I wish everything was different.

Dear Evan Hansen,
Turns out this wasn't an amazing day after all. This isn't going to be an amazing week or an amazing year, because why would it be?
I know, because there's Zoe, and all my hope is pinned on Zoe, who I don't even know, and doesn't know me. Maybe if I could just talk to her. Maybe nothing would be different at all. I wish everything was different.
I wish I was part of something. I wish that anything I said mattered to anyone. I mean face it, would anyone notice if I just disappear.

Sincerely, your best and dearest friend,

Me.

Connor sat in silence for a few minutes. Evan was so alone. He needed a friend. Maybe Connor could be that friend. He did sign Evan's cast. He dug through his satchel, looking for a pen, pencil, something to write with. Before he could, however, his phone started ringing.

He picked it up. "What?" He snapped.

"I don't know where you are and quite honestly, I don't care," Connor's sister, Zoe said. "But Mom wants you home."

Connor rolled his eyes. "Fine. Fuck you." He ended the call before Zoe could respond. Connor pushed himself up and stuffed the letter in his satchel before making the trek back to his house.

- -  -

Connor walked through the front door and slammed it behind him, making his way to the staircase.

"Connor, where were you?" Connor's mother, Cynthia, demanded.

"He was probably getting high," Zoe chimed in. Connor flipped her off before stomping up to his bedroom and slamming the door.

He dug the letter out of his bag and straightened it out before grabbing a nearby pen.

Maybe we have more in common than I thought, he wrote. Text me. (Phone Number)