3.

A few nights later, it rained, hard. Before it happened, I used to love the rain. I could stand in it for hours, the drops of water cool on my skin. But now, rain always made me cry.

My mind, restless with the thoughts of my past, couldn't shut off no matter how hard I tried. After hours of tossing and turning, I finally gave up. I brushed loose hair out of my face and stepped out onto the balcony.

The chair I always sat in was untouched by the torrential downpour around it. As I pulled it over to the side facing the street, a light turned on in Harry's room. "Shit," I whispered, wiping foolish tears from under my eyes. I began to sit down when his door opened.

My eyes went wide when I noticed he wasn't wearing a shirt. "Topher, what are you doing?" he mumbled sleepily.

"I couldn't sleep. I'm sorry I woke you up." I tried to keep my eyes down so he couldn't see.

But he noticed my wavering voice, and frowned. "Are you okay?" he asked. I looked up as some tears escaped, and shook my head no. "Oh, Topher, I'll be right over." he disappeared into his room to grab a shirt, and scrambled over to my side.

I tried to smile, "Harry, you don't have to worry about me. I'll be fine," he just looked at me funny, and a feeling rose in my stomach; something I wasn't sure about. 

"Tell me why you're so upset, love," he said gently. I figured I had nothing left to lose. So, I did. I told him about the car, and the hands and the rain and the horrible man who stole me. And Harry listened to everything.

After I finished, I couldn't look at him. I brushed tears away, and sighed. "You must think I'm so weak. So...repulsive," I choked. The rain had stopped, and it was unusually quiet between us.

"T, look at me." My tired grey eyes met his green ones. "That will never happen to you

again. I'll make sure nobody hurts you like that, I promise, with all my heart." He reached over and pulled me into his chest. He smelled so nice.

My heart couldn't take it. "Thank you," I whispered. It was all I could say. Someone had finally, finally listened to me.

We sat like that for a while, because soon enough, light began to seep through the clouds on the horizon. Without words, I sighed and unwrapped myself from him, noticing he had fallen asleep.

He looked so peaceful, carefree under closed lids, his lips parted slightly. And for a split second I selfishly wished I could somehow be him for a day, just to see what it's like to be that happy and innocent.

His eyes opened and met mine sleepily. He rose silently, climbing back to his balcony. I smiled softly. "Thank you Harry. For listening," I whispered. He smiled crookedly, and my heart melted.

"You're most definitely welcome. See you soon, Topher." I waved and turned to walk inside. I had noticed my parents had already left for work.

The shower I took helped me relax my frazzled nerves, and I couldn't help foolishly wondering what Harry thought of me after our conversation. I was just finished changing into my uniform and putting on makeup when I heard someone at my balcony.

When I opened the door, Harry was standing there with his signature smirk on his face. I noticed he wasn't wearing his uniform, but a cream colored sweater with buttons at the collar and jeans.

He messed with his damp hair, awkwardly scuffing his shoes. "Um, how's about we hang out today?" he said it more like a statement than a question.

I smiled broadly and nodded yes. "Wait at my door, I'll be right down," I said, unable to wipe the smile off my face.

Just as I was closing it, his hand caught mine. "Oh, and wear something nice,"

he smiled down at me.

My heart leaped into my throat, and I could only nod. He paused before letting go of my hand, and I shut the door. Turning away, I squealed like a little girl. I scrambled to my closet to find my black tights with grey polka dots and my brown combat boots. I threw on a plain black high waisted skirt and a red v-neck t shirt, one that I always used to wear on the inhumanly hot summer nights back in Missouri. I pushed my arms through a dark green plaid cardigan sweater, and practically tore my phone out of the wall as I passed. Grabbing my bag, I bounded out the door....