1.

It was unusually foggy for the small village of Holmes Chapel, and that's saying a lot. The morning sun was blocked out by a gloomy haze that seemed to settle and seep into my skin as I walked on my way into town.

Goosebumps rose on my arms from the chilly air. I turned my music up a notch, and scowled at the sky. Too rainy, too cold, too dismal, I thought.

It had been almost a week since I arrived here from the United States, and so far, I missed my home in Kansas more than anything. Middle America, no matter how much I hated it, was my home. And I wouldn't have traded it for rain and fog and...cows. And today just happened to be my first day of school.

I pushed open the heavy wooden door to the entrance. I walked into my homeroom class and glanced around at the sea of faces staring back at me. Great, I was the new girl.

I felt suddenly awkward looking at all the other girls who looked better in their uniforms than I did. I took the earphones off my head and sat down in the first available desk as the 

bell rang.

I fidgeted nervously with my fingers. The teacher began to call roll, and he paused at my name. "Uh, Miss Topher McCoy Alexandria? Am I saying that correctly?"

I blushed, embarrassed at the extravagance my name entailed. "Yes, that's right. It's just Topher." my American accent was plain as day, and murmurs from my classmates reached my ears. I hid my face in my sand blonde waves.

The teacher droned on about something I didn't care to listen about. A bored looking boy with cute glasses was twirling a strand of his hair around a pencil. Some girl in the back was whispering to her friend about a boy who had texted her last night. All of this seemed so...familiar; it made me miss my friends back home.

The bell rang just in time, and I bolted out of my seat for the door. My classes throughout the rest of the day went accordingly. I made my way hurriedly to my last class, Creative Writing, and sat down in a seat as far away from the front as possible.

The teacher introduced himself, and began to take roll. The same routine as last hour occurred when he paused at my name. "Let's see, Topher McCoy Alexandria?"

"Yes, that's me. It's just Topher, sir," I mumbled, and just like before, a murmur erupted from the class.

Just as the class began to settle down, a boy with messy curly hair seemed to bust through the door with a crash. "Sorry I'm late, I was stuck in traffic," he grinned smugly at the instructor who was now narrowing his eyes.

"Nice of you to join us Mr. Styles." He caused such a ruckus that a group of girls giggled and looked at each other.

"Hi Harry," one of them waved. I wanted to gag.

This Harry character invaded my personal space and plopped down dramatically in a chair directly beside me. I dared to look over at him incredulously.

He still had that crooked smirk on his face, like he knew a secret that no one else did, and it made me want to roll my eyes. One of his floppy curls was over one eyebrow. "Topher?" the instructor, Dr. Rowe called, "Would you mind telling the class a bit about yourself?"

Oh shit.

Reluctantly, I rose from my chair. It felt like a million eyes were on me as I cleared my throat. "Um, hi...my name is Topher, and I'm from America, and I just moved here a week ago. Nice to meet all of you," I looked around, smiled awkwardly, and decided that was enough.

I sat down, my cheeks blazing. Dr. Rowe told us to do individual poems, but I decided to put my earphones back on.

I was jerked out of my daydream by a pair of hands smacking my desk, rather rudely. I turned off my music and looked up at Harry, who was now leaning uncomfortably close to my face. "Hey America, do you have a pen I could borrow?"

I gestured to my empty bag and nodded no. "I only have this one. You can have it when I'm done?" I turned my music up again.

But he wouldn't move. A curl blocked part of his eye and for some reason it annoyed me. I looked at him, and he looked back at me. I narrowed my eyes in scrutiny. Finally after what seemed like a long time, he removed himself from my desk.

But then for whatever reason he wouldn't sit back down in his chair. He just paced the back of the room until the teacher told him to stop and get to work. I laughed a little and shook my head.

He made a face at Rowe, flopped into his chair and laid his head down on the wood. "Hey, here," I set the pen by his ear and went to turn in my paper. His head didn't move. The bell rang right as I got back to my chair.

Harry was still passed out in his chair, so I didn't think I had to worry about it. I breathed a sigh of relief; my first day was over.

Walking out of the building, I took my iPhone out and sent mass text to all of my friends back home. After I sent it, Iaughed and realized it was probably about seven in the morning and they'd all be really angry with me.

It takes about fifteen minutes to walk back home. It seemed like fifteen seconds until I was at my front door.

The problem was, my parents weren't home yet, and I didn't have a key. Oh, and it had started to rain. "Fucking great," I muttered to myself. I dragged a chair over to the nearest window and hoisted myself up, struggling to reach the sill.

"What are you doing?" I was so startled at the voice, I screamed and fell into the house, landing with a crash and a bump to the head. I cursed loudly, but froze as I recognized the voice.

Mortified, I peeked over the windowsill and there was Harry. He was sitting on the balcony of the house next door, across from my bedroom, with a water bottle in his hand. "Did you have a nice fall?" there was that stupid crooked smirk again.

"I did, actually," I snapped. He stayed smiling. "I don't have my keys made yet..." I tried to explain but he waved his hand dismissively, so I stopped talking.

"Here's your pen," he said rather abruptly, and the pen I had given him came sailing over to my balcony a couple feet away.

I shot him a look. "Thank you."

"Oh," he continued, "Since we're going to be neighbours and all, I should probably warn you; I get naked. A lot." he grinned, and I narrowed my eyes. "And I don't close the curtains." I didn't want to hear anymore.

I slammed the window shut without a word and walked away. I heard him call goodbye but I was done with this strange, inappropriate boy who wouldn't leave me alone.