Chapter 21 - Gone

Chapter 21 – Gone

I wake up. I have complete control over my bodily senses again. But I still had my eyes closed.

No dreams this time too.

I wonder when I’ll have another one of those dreams.

 Or maybe I just immediately forgot the dream?

Or could this be a dream?

I breathe in the air, still forcing my eyes to be closed.

I detect a large number of people in my vicinity.

I smell the disinfectant in the air, and quickly open my eyes to the scent.

A white ceiling.

I’m on a hard bunk bed, with the thin sheets again. I should really complain about clinics having thin sheets, who made that idea anyway and what kind of sane man would accept that idea?

I check my bodily functions again. There wasn’t anything painful in my joints. No detectable signs of wounds either.

I sit up on my bed.

The number of people astounded me, despite the fact that I detected them through my Ability a few seconds ago. Men are all around me, lying down on their backs with tubes attached to their arms. Some of them are wearing unique fatigues with layers of bulletproof fibers and Anti-Ability panels. The combat uniform gives the wearer complete freedom in movement and ventilation while being lightweight and maintaining the ability to carry as much as they can.

Wait. I can still detect too much information. I might still have my Level open.

“All levels, disengage.” I murmured.

It felt like a heavy burden and an impending headache was taken off my back.

Nurses rush from bed to bed to comply with the needs and complaints of the injured. But it seems to me that they’re shorthanded, despite their number. The double-leaf doors slam open as an hospital bed rushes through. A bleeding man was lying unconscious on the bed, his suit was designed with fresh blood that could be his or a fellow comrade. From that, I figured I was in the emergency room.

There weren’t any tubes attached into my skin. It could mean that I’m finished being treated or I’m just here to rest. Either way, it’s time for me to get up. Maybe I could help in one way or another.

I stood up and looked at a patient behind me.

“Enprix!” a voice shouted from a certain point behind me.

I turned behind me and saw Vincent, wearing the same uniform as the guys here. It had black as its base color with some red stripes.

“What are you wearing?” I quickly shot a question at him.

In addition to the uniform, he was wearing a bandana and a handgun compartment was attached to his right thigh.

“Their uniform. Come with me. I’ll brief you with the details while we walk.” we both move out of the way as another bed with an injured soldier rushes through the aisle.

We walk out of the mini-hospital. There was a long corridor with concrete walls. The sound of rapid gunfire was starting to echo louder and louder in the halls.

“Right now, there are two major factions fighting in this conflict.” said Vincent, with his voice raised to make himself audible as the sound of gunfire starts to get louder.

We come across a corner and take it.

Only then did I see the real scene happening inside the Colony.