Chapter 13 - Shoes

Chapter 13 – Shoes

I was already weary. My vision was filtered with a Gaussian blur effect. The spear was getting nearer and nearer. My mind was processing details too fast, everything seemed to slow down.

My heart was banging against my chest, trying to break open and free itself. I could hear the cries of the people, some of them may be cheering me on, and others might be waiting for my pitiful death.

My breathing was heavy; I could feel the air scraping my throat as it goes in and out. My lungs hunger for more air. Unbearable pain starts in my brain, like a pin piercing a spot at the back of my head, enough to make me crazy and close my eyes.

I fall flat on the ground, my head facing to my left.

The pain inside my skull, a pain that started as a pin prick, is now spreading, as if the pin was slowly expanding, creating a hole.

The pain was too much.

I couldn’t even open my eyes for a bit. I can only grit my teeth in despair.

It feels like so much time has passed, but I’m still here on the cold hard pavement, probing for a sanctuary.

But I can’t feel any stabs on my body.

Was the pain in my head enough to block out the pain of my body being stabbed? Or was this the manifestation of that pain?

Well, I guess that’s a little less to mind, I won’t succumb to both of those pain. The headache, alone, was too much to handle.

I try to open my eyes to take a peek at what’s happening, but I can only see a pair of shoes standing beside me and students at the corridor, some of them looking at me, and some are looking at something above me that I couldn’t see. They weren’t shouting anymore. They were just looking, kind of shocked, actually.

I close my eyes again, giving me the power to concentrate a little more on keeping the pain down. The pain has, now, spread to every part of my brain.

I don’t know what to say.

Whatever happens next is clearly unexpected.

I passed out.

Okay, wimp move, I know. But, you don’t know what kind of pain I was going through.

I may have passed out, given the fact that I don’t remember anything after closing my eyes and achieving pure darkness.

Just darkness.

I wonder how much time has passed?

Then my consciousness started to drift in. I could feel my body. I could hear muffled voices, I don’t understand any of them but I could hear them.

Could it be that I’m in another planet?” The thought tickled my mind.

I can’t really say for sure. I haven’t opened my eyes and my temples still hurt. Parts of my brain are still throbbing.

I opened my eyes.

A white ceiling.

The gloomy atmosphere.

The smell of disinfectant.

The uncomfortable bed.

Yeah, you guessed it right.

The clinic.

Okay, if you didn’t guess right, what would you have thought of? I was beaten up. It was logical to bring me here.

Disinfectants. Beds.

It’s either you guess a hospital or a clinic, either way, if you didn’t choose any of those, I don’t know how the hell you got to that conclusion.