Sickness

Before he can continue, a sharp pain shoots through his head, and Tenma groans. The ball falls on the ground, as he grabs his head with both hands. Another pain-filled sting goes through his head, and Tenma falls to the ground. More stings shoot through his head, each one worse than the lost one, until the only thing the boy can feel is pain. He is lying on the ground, clutching his head, as he tries his best to breathe.

And when Tenma feels the first signs of unconsciousness, he breathes a sigh of relief, before blacking out.

~'0'~

When Kirino reaches Raimon Junior High, he walks quietly towards his classroom. He passes a few students on the way there, but he doesn't know any of them and they don't notice him. Kirino realizes he's pretty early, and sighs. Ever after their last match, he hasn't been sleeping well.

The pink-haired boy silently enters his classroom. He is one of the first, and sighs again. He walks towards his desk, sitting down and simply looking out the window. The other students slowly begin to enter the classroom as well. After a few minutes, the owner of the desk next to his enters the classroom, and Shindou sits down.

Most of the ex-Raimon members don't talk to each other, but that doesn't apply to Shindou and Kirino. Well, not exactly. They've been more awkward towards each other, but at least they're still talking.

''Good morning, Kirino,'' says the game maker, and smiles at his friend.

Kirino smiles back. ''Good morning.''

Silence engulfs the two, as the two friends wait for the lesson to start. The time passes fast, and a few hours later, the two walk towards the cafeteria. They just sit down and take out their lunch, when someone walks toward them. Kirino watches on in surprise, as Kariya stops at their table. They haven't talked to him in the past three weeks, so it's surprising that the tealhaired boy shows up so suddenly.

Shindou seems to think the same thing, because he looks at the younger boy surprised. ''Can we help you with something?'' he asks his ex-teammate, who looks incredibly awkward, standing there.

The boy sighs, and nods. He hesitates for a few moments, not meeting their eyes, but then opens his mouth to speak. ''I was wondering... have you seen Ten- I mean, Matsukaze today?'' he asks, and the slip up doesn't go unnoticed by his senpai.

Kirino and Shindou share a look. They haven't talked to the ex-captain after the match, and they know that Kariya hasn't either. So why would he ask now, of all times? Kirino answers. ''No, why? Something wrong?'' Maybe they're not on good terms with each other, but Kirino still worries about his old teammate, though he isn't going to admit that. He knows for a fact, that the same goes for Shindou.

Kariya still looks like he feels very awkward, standing there, but after that question, he looks his senpai in the eye, all awkwardness forgotten. ''He didn't show up in class today, and the others haven't heard anything from him either. The teacher said that he was probably sick, but yesterday he looked perfectly fine. And Matsukaze isn't one to stay home, even when he's sick,'' Kariya explains.

Shindou frowns, and Kirino knows that his friend is worried. Kirino is starting to worry too. He knows Tenma, and remembers the last time he was sick – he collapsed in the middle of lunch, and stayed home for the next four days. Kirino looks at Kariya again. ''Have you tried the other senpai yet? Maybe they know something,'' he says.

Kariya shakes his head. ''We've tried, but they don't know anything either. We've tried calling him, too, but he isn't answering his phone,'' the younger boy mutters.