Chapter 29

I was standing in my old room, in front of my old bed. Chris and Wyatt were packing my closet and dressers. I had a box sitting in front of me, that I had saved from the fire. There were charred edges on some of the things where they had gotten too close to the heat.

The box consisted of photos, jewellery and ornaments and nick nacks that I had collected. They had all been around my mirror on my dresser.

I reached in and picked up an old photo of Ed and Me. It was the beginning of the year and we were both at the first football match of the school year. I had my jersey and carton of pop in my hand and he had a giant foam finger and paint all over his face.

He was such a dork. That was a few days before he had his first ever swirly in his life. I laughed at the old memory, remembering how mortified he looked coming into class.

I then picked up a more recent photo and it was of the two us by the Golden Gate Bridge. He was standing close to camera so it looked like he was leaning on the bridge in the photo. He had a cartoonish look on his face and I chuckled to myself. He almost got ate by a swan that day.

I felt someone standing beside me. I looked up and it was Wyatt. He was looking at the photo and smiling.

"He seems like a really nice guy." He said staring at the picture.

I nodded in agreement.

"He's the best."

Wyatt's smile faded and his face grew serious.

"I'm sorry that we have to do this. It's for his own protection. He can't know what you are Anna." He told me.

I nodded glumly and then turned back to the picture. I gently placed it back in the box before climbing on my bed to take down my posters on the walls.

"I'm gonna go get some more boxes." Wyatt told us and left the room.

The room went silent. The tension pressed on my back as I took a few posters down. I leant down to put a poster of a now deceased rock band in the box when a hand was placed on mine. I looked up and Chris was standing there looking at the box.

I sighed and climbed off of the bed. I kept my gaze firm and stood up straight. I was ready for whatever he was going to do to me. But he stood there. Silent. Furrowed brow.

"What do you want Chris?" I asked in a firm tone.

"I didn't finish what I had to say earlier." He answered pulling his hand away.

Ah crap.

"I just needed to tell you to leave me alone for a few days. Get my head sorted about everything." He spoke with his head down.

I looked up at him in confusion. First it was a 'I want to kill you because you almost killed my sister' situation, then a 'I want to seduce you but I don't' situation and now a 'don't talk to me for a few days so I can sort out my head' situation.

I took a breathe and let it out loudly so he knew my frustration.

"Okay then. I won't talk to you, I won't bother you. It will be like I'm not even here." I said folding my arms.

He nodded still not looking at me. I heard footsteps and I looked in the doorway. Wyatt was standing there with a bunch of boxes. He put them down by his feet.

"Is everything okay?" He asked us both feeling the tension.

I nodded and fiddled with my hair.

"Yes Wyatt. Everything is fine." I put on a smile and walked over to him.

I picked up a few boxes for Wyatt and went back to my posters. As I was walking back to my wall, in the corner of my eye I saw a quick glance towards my way, by a pair of lushious green eyes. Chris' eyes...

************************************************

All of my things were now packed into Wyatt's car. It was hitting home that I wasn't going to be living with Ed. I wasn't going to see him again. My life was now going to be full of potions and hunting demons. Living on a fifty fifty chance that I might die every day. I had different perspective on the world now. I could see the darkness that plagued cities and destroyed homes. I could see everything.

Mel and Ed were standing by their doorway, watching with sad eyes. Ed wouldn't even look. His head was bowed.

I closed the back door of the car, shutting my things inside. I glanced their way and couldn't bare to look. Wyatt was standing in front of me.

"Hey." He began taking my attention. "I'm sorry that you have to leave. I know they mean a lot to you."

I just nodded gently to thank him. He slowly took my hand and smiled at me. I gave him a smile back and retreated my hand from his.

"We better get going." I told him walking around the car.

Before getting in the car I walked up the steps to Mel and Ed. Mel was beginning to cry again and I pulled her into a hug.

"I'm going to perfectly fine. I promise." I said muffled in her dressing gown.

She sniffled and nodded.

"You can come back whenever you want. If you need anything, even dental floss, you come straight here." She ordered staring up at me.

She rubbed my arms and smiled with tears in her eyes. She finally let go and I turned to Ed.

He wasn't looking. Just playing with his foot. I bent down so I could look at him. I lifted up his face and saw two hurtful pools of blue emptiness. The same empty blue eyes his mother has.

"Ed." I said but it came out as a whisper.

I took his hands again and just threw myself at him. I needed one more ounce of my best friend. My only friend. The friend that let me stay in house when mine burnt to the ground. The friend that cut all his hair off because the barber messed up mine. The friend that has always been there for me and has become apart of my soul.

"I love you Kid." He spoke into my ear.

Tears had built up in my eyes and were falling down my face.

"I love you too." I answered back.

Once we pulled apart he wiped my tears away. Then I finally had the courage to move back to the car. Wyatt was waiting by my side of the car. Chris was standing about a meter away from him.

"You okay?" Wyatt asked me softly.

I just quickly nodded and stood next to him.

"Look I need to go find Pandora. You two go ahead. I'll be back later." Chris told us.

Wyatt and I both looked his way.

"I thought you were helping me?" Wyatt asked rhetorically.

"I am. But there's no room for me anyway. You don't need my help now. Henry and Melinda should be back for lunch." He answered.

Well this is taking the 'leave me alone to sort out my head' thing a little too far.

I could tell Wyatt was unhappy but I gave him a look to just go with it.

"Fine but don't be long." Wyatt warned and Chris started to walk down the street.

He couldn't orb out with Mel and Ed standing there. Once he was out of sight I saw the little blue bubbles take him away.

Good riddance.

I waved goodbye one final time and Wyatt and I climbed into the car, started the engine and drove away from my old life..