Chapter 22

"You know, you never did text me," I paused taking a sip from my chocolate milkshake, looking at Sam intently.

"Didn't I?" He looked at me puzzled. "I could have sworn I messaged you?"

"Maybe you have the wrong number?" I glanced at him catiously.

"I asked Annie though," he twitched his lips.

"I never gave Annie my number though," I sat up straight.

Sam looked at me confusedly.

"Really? She seemed certain it was your number and you replied," he smiled dimly, his cheeks flushing a baby pink with embarrassment.

"What?" I looked at him startled. "But I never got a message in the first place!"

"Apparently you did," he looked at me nervously. "Look I'll show you,"he said as he pulled out his phone.

"Oh my.." My mouth fell open as I stared at the screen. "That was not me!"

He looked at me frowning.

"Sam, I've known you for a couple of days, this is really not me talking, I'm sorry," I looked at him with glazing eyes.

"Then who was it?" He asked me as he raised his eyebrows.

"I don't know? It could have been anyone, well anyone whose number Annie has," I took a sip of my milkshake.

"You don't think.." Sam looked up at me and our eyes met.

"Annie." We said together.

"But why..?" I looked around feeling dazed.

"Cassie! She's obsessed with me!" He shouted. Peoples heads in the cafe turned around. "Sorry," he blushed as he turned back around.

"Annie's not.." I gulped.

"Cassie! Ever since me and her ended shes been trying to get me back and your a perfect way to do that."

"What do you mean..?"

"Your first lesson, drama, Annie saw you becoming friends with me," he looked me directly in the eyes.

"That doesn't mean it was her.."

"No one else gave me a number recently except her!"

"She told me she didn't give you my number," I looked out the window which our table was up against. It was beginning to rain.

"See, shes even lied to you."

"I have to go," I rushed as I grabbed my bag and made my way to leave.

"No! Cassie!" He grabbed my wrist holding it tightly.

I looked at him startled, my eyes wide.

"Please, don't go, you haven't finished your drink yet." He glanced over towards our table which we sat.

"I really need to go Sam," I pulled my arm loose of his grip.

He readjusted himself standing up straight.

"Then at least let me walk you home," he smiled at me, his face softening.

I glanced out the window, the rain was beginning to pour down and the skies were darkening.

I looked back at Sam his face was now gentle.

"I'm sorry, just please let me walk you home so I know your safe?"

"Ok," I whispered nervously, as my tummy fluttered.