Chapter 37

Aman’s brows furrowed in confusion.  He wasn’t expecting Priya to refuse to believe him.  

“Why don’t you believe me?” He asked. Priya stopped and turned back towards him.  

“Because I don’t. You could just be saying all this because you want me to forgive you so badly.” Priya countered.  Truthfully, she no longer trusted him enough to go by his word.  

“That’s not fair.  I wouldn’t lie to you again.  I saw how well that went the first time.” Aman replied.  

“Aman, I don’t trust you anymore.  You can’t gain my trust back just by changing your story.” Priya explained.  

“I’m not changing my story, Priya. I thought I did sleep with her, honestly.  It’s not true though.” Aman said.  

“I still don’t believe you.” Priya repeated.  

“What if I hadn’t told you about the affair when I did?  If I kept it a secret all this time and let that night at the motel just happen, would you have ever forgiven me?” Aman asked seriously.  

Priya paused.  That night...Aman had refused her because he felt guilty about cheating on her.

“You..” Priya was speechless.  

“You wouldn’t have.  And I wouldn’t have expected you too.” Aman cut her off.  “And what if I’d never told you I’d had sex with her?  If I’d said I’d only kissed her, you wouldn’t be this angry.  You wouldn’t have done what you did last night while trying to get revenge.  You would have forgiven me by now.”

What Aman said made sense.  The fact that he wouldn’t allow their relationship to reach the next level without being completely honest with her melted Priya’s heart.  Kissing another woman was still cheating, but did she have the right to be this angry? They weren’t even in love with each other.  If she wasn’t in love with Aman, why did she feel so hurt by his infidelity?  

“Priya, say something.” Aman said, breaking Priya’s thoughts.  

“I...I don’t know what to say.” Priya said.  

“Do you believe me?” Aman asked again.  

“I don’t know.” Priya admitted.  

“Do you at least believe that I’m not a bad person, that I made a mistake?  And I’m truly sorry.” Aman said, pleadingly.  

“Aman, I never believed you were a bad person.” Priya said quietly.  

“Priya,” Aman moved closer to her, “how do I fix this?”

Priya looked at him.  Was she taking things too far?  Should she just forgive Aman and forget about the whole thing? After all, it was just kissing.   

“I...I just...I need to think.” Priya said.  She honestly didn’t know how she felt about the whole situation.  Did she believe that he’d only kissed the other woman? Why had he brought her back here then?  Is she still angry?

“Fair enough.” Aman relented.  He turned to leave.  

“Aman,” Priya stopped him

“Yeah?” Aman turned back around to face her.  

“If I’d kissed another man, what would have done?” Priya asked.  

Aman paused to think.  He walked closer to Priya and slipped his arm around her waist.  

“I’d be mad.  I’d yell at you.” Aman replied, pulling her closer.  “And then I’d go break him in half.”

Priya blushed at Aman’s possessiveness.