Chapter 16

Honeymoon! Did he just say honeymoon? Priya’s eyes bulged in surprise.  Was he serious?

            “What do you mean?” Priya asked hesitantly. 

            “We haven’t been anywhere.  We should travel abroad.” Aman suggested.

            “And do what?” Priya blurted out though she was dreading the answer. 

            “Go sightseeing, of course.  You can go shopping too if you’d like.” Aman replied, coolly. 

            “Oh,” was all Priya said in response.

            “What did you think I was going to say?”  Aman smirked. 

            “N-nothing.” Priya stuttered, “Just…you know…people don’t go on honeymoons just to go sightseeing.  They go to…”Priya trailed off, making a motion with her hand in an attempt to prompt Aman to understand her insinuation. 

            “Oh of course! There would be plenty of that too.” Aman grinned. 

            If Priya were drinking a beverage at this moment, she would’ve spit it out all over Aman.  She was that shocked.  She opened her mouth to protest, but no words came out. 

            “Relax, Priya. I was just joking.” Aman said, chuckling lightly. 

            “Oh.” Priya said.  She wasn’t sure what to think.  She just didn’t want to be near Aman at the moment.  She walked to the other side of the room and sat down on the bed. 

            “I’m sorry, Priya. It was just a joke.” Aman conciliated.   “We don’t have to go anywhere if you don’t want to.”

            Priya said nothing. 

            “Priya?” Aman tried again.  He walked over to the bed and sat down beside her. 

            “It’s just that…we aren’t,” Priya started. 

            “I know.” Aman replied.  “Let’s just forget about this. We had a great night. There’s no point in spoiling it over nothing.” He continued. 

            “Right.” Priya agreed. 

            Aman and Priya got ready to go to bed.  It was late and they were both tired.  While Priya was putting on her nightclothes, her thoughts traveled to her marriage, to her perfect date, to Aman.  Priya blushed at the thought of him. At first, they were two strangers hurled into a predicament.  Then, they became friends.  She wondered if they would ever fall in love.  Priya stared at herself in the mirror.  She was covered nearly head to toe in black.  Plain was the word that came to mind when she looked at herself.  Aman would never fall for a plain girl.  Priya heaved a great sigh before she opened the bathroom door and stepped out.  Aman was sitting on the bed and seemed like he was in some sort of deep thought. 

            “Aman,” Priya said cautiously. 

            “Hmm.” He replied without even looking up. 

            “Are you okay?” Priya asked, still standing. 

            “I’m fine.” Aman said coldly.  He abruptly stood up and stalked over to the sofa.  He stopped in front of it but didn’t sit down. 

            Priya watched Aman suspiciously.  She was taken aback by his sudden change in mood, but she didn’t want to bother him and make his mood worse.