Chapter 34

“What?” The words were difficult for Priya to register.  “What did you just say?”

“I cheated on-” Aman couldn’t finished his sentence.  Priya slapped him with all the strength in her.  How dare he betray her!  Aman paused for a moment, trying to gather what had just happened.  He looked at Priya, hoping she was done slapping him.  She was looking at her hand  as if she couldn’t believe what she had just done.  

“Priya, I’m so sorry.” Aman said, his voice quivering.  

Tears started flowing from Priya’s eyes.  She didn’t say anything.  

“Priya, please say something.” Aman prompted.  

“How could you?  How could you betray me like this, Aman? I trusted you!” Priya’s voice was shaking and it rose in volume in as she spoke.

“I’m sorry, Priya. I just...I wasn’t thinking.” Aman tried to explain.  He didn’t know what to say.  He didn’t want to cause Priya any more pain.  

“This isn’t happening.” Priya said more to herself than to Aman.  She turned away from him and took a few steps forward.  She was shaking her head from side to side.  

Aman watched her carefully.  

“I needed to tell you.” He began.  “I didn’t want to keep lying to you.”

Priya didn’t responded.  She was still turned away from Aman, so he couldn’t see her expression.  

“Priya, please.” Aman reached for her.  His hands landed on her shoulders, but she quickly pushed them away.  

“Don’t touch me!” she nearly screamed.  

Aman backed away from her, giving her some space.  

“Priya, I know you’re upset.  You’re angry.  You deserve to be.  What I did was horrible.  I never wanted to hurt you, Priya.  Please, believe me.  That’s the last thing I’d ever want to do.” Aman said.  

“But you did hurt me.” Priya said quietly.  “Aman, you’re my husband…and you were with another woman.  How wouldn’t this hurt me?”

“I’m sorry, Priya. I know it’s going to take some time, but will you please forgive me?” Aman asked sadly.  

“Aman, if I made the same mistake, would you be able to forgive me?” Priya replied, tears falling down her cheeks.  

Aman sighed.  He knew the answer and so did Priya.  She walked away from him and stood at the glass door that joined their rooms, waiting for Aman to leave.  

“Priya, I-” Aman started.  

“Get out.” Priya said angrily.  

Aman stood still for a second.  He accepted defeat, understanding that Priya needed to be alone right now.  He walked over to the glass door and stepping into his own room after giving Priya one more pleading look.  As soon as Aman was out of her room.  Priya closed the glass door, locked it, and pulled the curtains closed, obstructing Aman’s view into her room.  She couldn’t bear to look at him right now.  

Aman looked absently at the curtains.  He knew Priya wouldn’t react well to his confession, but he expected her to break down in his arms.  He wanted to comfort her until she forgave him.  Of course, he knew that it would take some time for her to fully trust him again.  However, he hadn’t expected her to completely shut him out like she just did.  

Priya wanted to stay strong, but she couldn’t.  Aman had broken her trust and her heart.  She laid down in her bed and absorbed the entire situation.  She couldn’t believe what Aman had done.  She believed he was a good person. And now, she wasn’t so sure.  She curled into bed and broke down crying.  She didn’t even try to hold any of it in.  Aman had broken her inside.