Chapter 13

A thunderous sound erupted from the alarm clock sitting on the bedside table, interrupting both Aman and Priya’s deep slumber.  Priya sleepily reached over and slammed her hand over the snooze button.  She sat up and allowed her eyes adjust to the darkness that continued to envelop the room in the early morning hours.  Priya was taken aback at the unfamiliarity of her surroundings at first.  She had forgotten that she had spent the night in Aman’s room.  Her eyes drifted towards the sofa across the room.  There, Aman was still asleep.  Priya could make out the silhouette of his body as it lay peacefully on the sofa.  Priya stood up and walked toward the sofa. 

            “Aman.” She called softly, so she wouldn’t startle him.  Aman didn’t respond.  He was dead asleep. 

            “Aman, wake up.” Priya tried again, a little more loudly.  Aman rustled in his sleep, but didn’t open his eyes. 

            Priya stepped closer.  She bent down and sat on her knees, leaning against the arm rest where Aman’s head was.  She hesitated before placing her hand on Aman’s shoulder.  She tapped it gently. 

            “Aman.” She said, leaning in close to his ear. 

            Aman inadvertently grabbed Priya’s hand. He pulled her so that her elbow rested on his chest.  She felt her cheek grazing against his chin.  Aman’s eyes fluttered open.   He paused, assessing the sight before him. 

            “Priya? What are you doing?” he asked hoarsely. 

            Priya looked down.  She felt Aman’s chin moving against her ear as he spoke.  She wasn’t comfortable being so close to him.  She lifted her hand that was held by Aman’s hand.  He looked at their hands and immediately let go. 

            “Sorry.” He said as he sat up.  Priya stood up and took a step back, giving Aman room to stand up. 

            “Your alarm went off a few minutes ago. I was trying to wake you up.” Priya explained. 

            “Thanks.” Aman said, “I have an early morning meeting.  If I had slept through it, I would’ve been in so much trouble.”  He said with a smile.  

            Priya stifled a yawn.  Aman frowned.

            “You should go back to sleep. Sorry about the alarm. I forgot I set it.” Aman said. 

            Priya nodded, thankful that Aman had made such a wonderful suggestion.  She walked back towards the bed as Aman went into the bathroom.  Priya felt herself drift back into a deep sleep.  She let herself succumb to the comforts of Aman’s bed.

            Priya heard a knock at the door.  She groggily rose to answer it.  Sunlight seeped into the room.  Aman had left hours ago, and Priya hadn’t even noticed.  She realized that it was now late morning.  She swung the door open and was greeted by Payal’s cheerful face. 

            “Didi! You sleep too much.” Payal declared as she walking in. 

            “Payal, what time is it?” Priya asked. 

            “Almost ten.” Payal answered. 

            “I’m sorry I overslept.” It was so unlike Priya to sleep in this late.  Aman usually left around six in the morning and Priya woke up at eight.  She didn’t know why today she let herself stay in bed until ten.