Chapter 26

Priya stood for a moment, refusing to believe that Aman could do such a thing.  Surely there was explanation for all of this.  He couldn’t really be this angry, could he?

Priya knew Aman wouldn’t be back til later tonight because tonight was Boy’s Night, but she needed answers now.  Priya hesitated before picking up her phone and dialing Aman’s number.  It rang for a while, but no one answered.  Should she try again?  Two missed calls might make him worry.  This was important though.  Priya tried again.  

“Hello?” Aman’s voice answered.  

“Aman, I need to talk to you. It’s urgent.” Priya said hastily.  

“What’s the matter?” Aman replied coolly.  

“I came home and all of my things were no longer in the bedroom,” Priya explained.  

“Touchdown bitches!” Hiten’s voice came hollering through the receiver. Obviously, the guys were watching football.  

Aman went into another room in order to get more privacy.  

“And your point?” he asked snarkily.  

“Why would you do that?” Priya asked.  

“There’s no need for us to keep up this facade any longer.” Aman replied.  

“What do you mean?” Priya asked.  

“With Payal gone, what’s the need to share a bedroom anymore?” Aman answered.  “If you aren’t going to act like my wife, why live like my wife?”

Priya’s heart sunk.  How could he say such a thing?  She enjoyed being with him.  She’d grown so much closer to her husband by sharing a bedroom with him.  And she spent so much time with him.

“But…” Priya couldn’t think of anything to say.  This was all her fault.  

“Priya, just leave it alone.  All of your stuff is in your old room.”  Aman interrupted.  

“Aman, you’re not being fair.” Priya pointed out.  

“Not being fair?  Priya, you’re the one who is reluctant to be with me in every way I need you to be.  What’s the point of sharing a bedroom and sharing a bed if you aren’t willing to satisfy my needs?  We’re just roommates, not a married couple and you know it!” Aman grew angrier as he spoke.  

Priya couldn’t bring herself to reply.  She knew this was all her fault.  She had been reluctant to go along with the arrangement in the first place, and now she was the one complaining about things going back to the way they were.   Aman was right.  There was no point in sharing a bedroom unless they maintained a physical relationship.  

“I have to go. Don’t wait up.” Aman said before hanging up on Priya.  

Priya stared at her phone in disbelief.  Aman was being particularly rude to her, and she hated every moment of it.  

Boy’s Night was finally here.  Rajiv, Aman, and Hiten had spent the evening at Rajiv’s apartment, and they planned to spend the rest of the night in New York City’s hottest clubs.  

“Rajiv, my boy, take a look and choose wisely.” Hiten told Rajiv as the trio approached the long line of people, mostly scantily clad women, waiting to be granted entrance.  

Rajiv looked at the women, but didn’t say anything.  Crimson streaked his cheeks as one of the women winked at him.  Hiten slipped the bouncer a couple hundred dollars to let them in without having to stand in line. Men with wealth like Hiten and Aman had didn’t need to wait in lines.