Chapter 21

Aman woke to an empty bed.  Priya was no longer beside him.  He groggily stood up and walked over to the bathroom.  The door was closed.  

“Priya?” He called through the door.  

The door opened a minute later. Priya emerged, dressed in a long sleeve, long salwar kameez with a high neckline.  She was trying to hide her scratches and bruises.  

“Can you tell?” she asked quickly.  

“Tell what?” Aman asked.  

“The bruises.  Can you tell they’re there?” Priya replied.  

Aman closely examined her cheek, where the bruise was the day before.  He noticed she’d covered it up with makeup.   He noticed some discoloration, but only when he stared.

“No, they look fine. I’m sure Payal won’t notice.” Aman said.  

Priya looked relieved.  She left and walked over to Payal’s room to see if she was awake.  

“Didi! Are are you feeling okay?” Payal asked as soon as Priya stepped inside.  She didn’t even bother knocking. She knew Payal wouldn’t care.  Payal was sitting on her bed, flipping through a magazine when Priya entered.  

“I’m fine. Sorry for leaving you last night.” said Priya.  She sat down next to Payal, waiting to see if she’d notice the bruises on her face.  

“It’s okay! I had so much fun.  The boy I dance with, Rajiv, is so sweet. He’s quiet though.” Payal replied.  She was looking straight at Priya and said nothing about any bruises.  

“It’s okay, Payal. I’m sure you talk enough for the both of you.” Priya smiled.  

“Very funny.” Payal replied.

“Let’s go have some breakfast,” Priya said.  

Payal jumped off the bed and followed her downstairs. The chef had prepared pancakes and waffles and a whole array of fruit.  There was also turkey sausage and eggs.  Payal nearly squealed with delight.  She had already eaten two platefuls of food by the time Aman joined them.  

“Damn, Payal. Slow down. The food isn’t going anywhere.” Aman joked as he watched Payal stuff her face with waffles.  

“Sorry Jija-ji, can’t. Neha is taking me to the cinema.  She promised last night.  It’s going to be so much fun.  She’ll be here any minute.” Payal said.  

“You’re going to the movies?” Priya asked.  Payal hadn’t told her.

“Yep…Oh.” Payal realized she hadn’t even asked Priya.  “Didi please! You left early last night and I didn’t get a chance to ask you.”

“It’s okay. Go have fun.” Priya said.  As bad as it sounds, Priya wanted Payal out of the house.  The less she was around her, the less chance there would be of her noticing any bruises that might show.  

“Yay! Thank you!” Payal hugged Priya quickly.  A honk sounded outside the mansion.  

“That must be Neha.” Aman said.

“I should go!” Payal said, grabbing her coat and saying goodbye to Aman and Priya.  As soon as she opened the door, she was met with Rajiv, who stood awkwardly looking at the ground.  

“Rajiv?!” Payal exclaimed, confused at his presence.  

“Hi Payal, Neha-ji invited me to come along with you two to the movie, if you don’t mind.” Rajiv told her.

“I don’t mind. Why would I mind?” Payal replied, happily.  

“May I come in?” Rajiv asked politely.