Chapter 10

Priya gawked at the exterior of the five star hotel that stood before her.  The limo driver held the door open waiting for her to exit, but Priya was too caught up in the luxurious sight before her. 

            “Priya. Come on.” Aman waited for her at the entrance of the hotel. 

            Priya exited the limo and joined Aman.  She took a deep breath before following Aman inside.  The lobby of the hotel was unlike anything Priya had seen before.  The décor was pure Victorian that couldn’t be found in India.  She mindlessly followed behind Aman, as she gaped at her surroundings with immense fascination.  Aman paused in front on the entrance of the grand ballroom. 

            “Priya, I don’t know if you’ve ever been in this type of setting before.  Just do whatever everyone else is doing.  If they laugh, you laugh.  If they’re drinking, you drink.  Be polite even if someone says something stupid. Fake it if you have to.  If the other wives aren’t contributing to the conversation, you shouldn’t either.  And please Priya, just get through this for me.” Aman warned.  He seemed just as nervous as she was. 

            “Don’t worry.  I’ll be fine.” Priya said with a smile. 

            Aman gave Priya small smile before taking her hand in his.  He led her through the double doors.  As soon as they entered, many of the people turned their attention towards them.  Priya knew Aman was well-known in the business community, but she didn’t know that he was this well-known.  Aman squeezed her hand letting her know that everything would be okay.  He led her over to a rather large group of men and their wives. They were an older crowd, much older than Aman and Priya. 

            “Aman! How are you? It’s been a while.” A tall man with graying hair stepped forward and engulfed Aman in a hug. 

            “Hey Steve.  I’d like you to introduce you to my wife, Priya.” Replied Aman.

            “Wife? You went off and got married without even telling us?” Steve said incredulously. 

            The others looked in, surprised expressions planted on their faces.  Priya wondered if these were Aman’s friends or simply his colleagues.  Steve seemed like the friendliest of the bunch, while the others seemed less sociable. 

            “Anyways, it’s nice to meet you Priya.” Continued Steve, gently shaking Priya’s hand. 

            He turned back to the group.

            “This is Walter and Elaine McDonald.  That’s Greg and Megan Robinson.  David and Elizabeth Oliver.  Miguel and Maria Vazquez. And this gorgeous red head is my wife, Kate.  And the couple walking up right now is Nikhil and Neha Sachdev.”Steve finished introducing all of the people, pointing to each one as he introduced them.  Priya noticed that the Robinsons were the youngest couple of the group besides Aman and Priya.  The Sachdevs, the only other Indians here, seemed like they were in their early thirties, still younger than the majority of the people present.

            “Priya, darling, your outfit is simply divine.” Elizabeth Oliver commented.

            “Thank you.” Replied Priya quietly, unsure whether or not her compliment was really sincere. 

            The men fell into a comfortable chatter as the women simply watched on, taking a sip of champagne every now and then.  None of them said anything.  Priya, remembering what Aman had told her before, also remained silent.  Priya gazed at Neha.  She was just a little older than her, but she looked as if she could be Priya’s age because she was so stunning.  She opted for a bright red evening gown that flown regally down to the floor.  Neha noticed Priya watching her and walked over towards her.