Chapter Twenty-seven Airplanes to the Moon

unedited- enjoy!

2 days in counting

I awoke for the second day in a row to a warm body against my back. It was a feeling my Seventeen year old self could really get use to. All that past of ditching in the middle of the night was long gone. I wanted to hold on to Adam with my arms wide open, with my mind clear and my heart open. I didn't want to mess this up. I took a deep breath and rolled my self closer to him. He took a deep breath and let it out loudly in my ear. I smiled to myself. I moved myself around and kissed his cheeks, then his nose, and then his lips. His lips took mine without hesitation, like our lips were meant to be this way forever.

"Morning." Adam said gruffly, while I buried my face into his shoulder, inhaling the sweet woody smell that Adam was.

"Lets stay this way forever." I sighed into his neck, kissing his lightly with my lips.

His hands went under the covers and held me tightly against him.

"We will." Was all he said, we laid in bed for a while, kissing and just being with each other it was one of the best mornings I'd ever experienced.

After about an hour Adam playfully slapped my behind and told me to "Get muh arse up!" So, much to my protest I did. We got ready, and I sat on the counter and watched Adam cook my breakfast. He made us some pancakes and eggs. I was rather pleased to find out that Adam liked to cook. Since, I sucked at cooking anything that didn't come in a box. However, even then it was questionable.

We ate our food and talked about last night, about how he took me out to a diner in town and we ate at a café near by downtown. Not Leah's diner, but another place called "Nona's Digs".

It was a sweet diner that was run by and older lady who was very happy to see Adam enter. She sat us towards the back and Adam ordered me the "Works Burger". Nona which was the women who owned it talked about Adam as a little boy. Some of the stories I committed to my memory instantly. Others were just sweet and laughable.

He had instantly introduced me to Nona the second we got into the dinner. To my surprise I was "Mia, his Girlfriend." I was ready to introduce myself as a friend, so it wouldn't be so awkward for him, but he just beat me to it.

It was by far one of the most entertaining dinners; I have ever had in my life.

Nona had told me a story about when Adam was seven, and he had gone with his mother to town and was just all over fussing about how being allowed to buy a red airplane. How they had stopped by the dinner to have lunch and how he complained the whole time. Nona had seen that little boy crying and just couldn't have a heart to let him keep crying. His mother had been going on about how the plane was far too expensive for a boy his age, and Nona, had come to take their order like always. She had said hello to his mother, and then went about asking Adam about why he wanted the plane so badly. He had said that he wanted to fly to the moon and see if it had cheese. I laughed at this part in the story but Nona continued. Adam groaned and squeezed my thigh. Nona had told Adam that, maybe if he worked for the money that maybe his mother would have been more okay with him buying an airplane to the moon. Adam had grumbled that he was to young to work, that his daddy rode bulls in the rodeo and was never home to work with and that he had no where to work. After, much pouting into his food and eating half of it.

Nona asked him if he wanted to work here, and save up for his airplane, that he could come by after school and she'd have a job for him. That was then the seven year old Adam smiled up at Nona like she was the Easter bunny, Santa, and the tooth fairy all in one. His mother smiled at him and said if that's what he wanted to do then he could. She was fine with that and smiled at Nona.

It was then that Seven year old Adam went about negotiating his pay. He started at ten dollars, but Nona talked him down to three - fifty. His airplane was fifty bucks. Adam was a smart child he knew it wasn't going to be THAT long until he had the money, but he wanted it quickly. It took him two months to save for the airplane.

Which he bought, and then crashed into Mrs. Spinlin's backyard above ground pool. He had worked at Nona's Digs until he was thirteen. Breaking hearts and busing tables. He left her for the Auto Body shop down the block and Nona' was still heart broken.

He kissed her cheek on the way our and whispered in her ear. I don't know what, but whatever it was, the old lady smiled.

After breakfast we got ready and drove the five towns over to Roz's Hospital .

We are going to visit her. I am sitting in Adam's car looking out the window and I find myself nervous. I'm worried about Roz. I'm a little worried about how she will look. Is she getting worse? Will she be awake? Will anything have gone wrong we didn't know about? Will she still be there when we get there?

My mind is just reeling. Adam looks over at me and must have seen my panicked expression and he grabbed my hand and squeezed it. I smile at him but still I feel extremely nervous.

We pull into the parking lot and Adam gets out and comes around to my side of the car opens the door and takes my hand in his. My eyes search his and he shuts the door and pulls me along with him into the hospital.

After the long eerie hallways to Roz's ICU room, we go inside to find her awake and watching TV. A nurse is in the corner and they are clearly in a debate about the characters in the TV show.

"That's bull- Alanzo wants Maria!" Roz says loudly.

"No no no, Alanzo wants Maryalice!" the nurse says, then notices our entry. "oh look visitors, ill be going then! See you later Roxanne."

"ROZ!" Roz's moans while rolling her eyes. I laugh.

We come inside and I sit down next to Roz. She smiles at me and clicks the TV off. It makes a beep sound and turns off quickly.

"Hey guys." Roz says, smiling wide at me.

"Hey roz." Adam says leaving over to give her a peck on the cheek.

I stand up and give her a hug, and sit right back down.

"So..." Roz says smiling at me darkly.

"I, am going to go get you a snack Mia! I'll uh, be right back." Adam says quickly from behind me I turn to see him leaving the room. That bastard left me.

She knows, I know she knows, I can tell she knows and that look she just gave me apparently told Adam all he needed to know, the coward.

"You and Adam hu?" Roz says her smile grows dangerously large.

"Umm.." I reply, and try not to smile. "yeah."

"Iknewit!!' She says rather loudly, one could never even tell the girl was sick.

She lays back on her pillow breathing deeply and smiles at me.

Roz looks weak but she's still her happy self.

She gives me a hard time about Adam. I laugh her off

"Oh would you just stop." I say laughing again.

"No way man." Roz says.

"come on, stop." I say, glaring in her direction.

"MmM" she replies shaking her head in the negative.

"Please!" I say laughing. "You should be far more worried about yourself then me and Adam."

"I'm really happy for you guys." She says. "Especially Adam, the second I met you I knew you would be the one for him. I kept telling him he was stupid to not go after you right away."

"You're being stupid, I'm not that important that he should go after me." I said.

"Yes you are." She says. "Don't sell yourself short. You're his one."