Chapter Eighteen - you learn new stuff everyday

Time seemed to pass quickly while I wasn't stuck on that boring Ranch. I stayed with Adam for a while; his mother was away at first, to his grandmother's place in Houston. She had been away for three weeks when her arrival sent me packing quickly. Apparently Adam didn't tell his mother about my staying their so I was quickly shuffled to Roz's and Liam's place. Which wasn't all that better then Adam's. I mean the only difference from Adam's place beyond the desertion of location, was that Liam and Roz lived with their Alcoholic father. Although, he was pretty much always passed out. I didn't mind staying with Roz. Over the last three weeks at Adams we all hung out regularly at night.

Adam would take us out to the local hang out in town, which happened to be two towns over from where the Carmichael ranch was. I didn't worry to much all that often about one of them finding me. Even if they did I wasn't planning on staying around long enough for them to really make an issue. I was happy hanging out with Adam. I even grew to understand and like Leah. Adam had been right in saying we were much alike. That we would get along well. Aside from Roz who I instantly liked because she was just a really cool person. Her being younger then all of us didn't even bother me at all. She was wise beyond her years.

After about two weeks of hanging out she happened to talk to me about her condition. I knew something was off about her. I didn't understand outright. She had to explain it to me. She had some rare form of Anemia. Had it since birth apparently, and was in and out of hospitals all her life. She dreamed of all sorts of things I could imagine I normally took for granted most of my life, with my rich parents and all around shitty behavior.

She was a good person, beyond the witty harshness she had around her. Leah even told me about how Liam and her had become what they were now. I didn't understand that either, besides the fact that she obviously adored him. He worshiped the ground she walked on.

I envied it.

A lot

No one ever worshiped the ground I walked on, and I had plenty of times laid down before them and thought it was worship. It wasn't, I knew that now. I wanted what Leah had found in Liam. I wanted a family who loved me the way Liam loved his little sister Roz.

I was currently in Roz's living room watching some T.V show on her old 90's box set about sharks. Liam had left to go get Leah for tonight. She worked with her Aunt and lived in the apartment above the diner all her life. I learned things about these four people I never thought id know about people. My friends back home I knew their names I knew where they lived and I knew we all liked to party. I felt like those "friends" were nothing more then people I spent time with in a brief period of my life. They were nothing if not strangers now. No one had called me; no one had cared either way.

We were going to a concert tonight, Adam, Myself, Leah, Liam and Roz. It was Roz's favorite and Liam knew the band roadie so they were going to get us inside, without having to pay. Which I found was awesome. I had no money, besides the fifteen bucks I had in my wallet from my trip here. I didn't dare call my mother asking for money and I sure as hell wasn't going to go back to that ranch for the slim-pickens they gave me the time I spent there. I knew if I found myself back there id be shipped home instantly and sent to some place for delinquent youths.

My senior year of high school came in about three more weeks back home. I figured since I turned eighteen in about five weeks, I could just wait and then when I was legal I could just register myself anywhere I wanted to go. I could stay here with Roz and Liam and go to the high school Roz went too. Liam being nineteen had already graduated this year. Adam was a few months older then I was so he was just turning eighteen last week. Which we celebrated at a really fun dance club. I didn't think id want to go. I went because he pretty much got down on his knee before me and begged me to go for his birthday. I wasn't a dancing kind of girl, unless of course, it was hopping around or bopping my head to the loud serenade of a guitar solo.