6

I was currently on the plane home and was in a very sour mood. I haven't thought about my life back at home for a very long time, and I didn't want to start now.

   Thirty minutes later, the plane had landed safely and I was outside the air port waiting for a taxi. I didn't know if they were sending anyone to pick me up. Just as I spotted a taxi that I was going to stop, a familiar scent filled my nose.

  Cinnamon with a touch of mint, the scent brought back memories I'd rather have buried.

  Looking around, I spotted him.

My father??

He was just as I remembered him. Extremely tall with his dark hair cut short, his caramel skin so like mine glisten in the sunlight. He was clad in black from head to toe and was clearly sniffing the air to try and detect me.

  Releasing my scent, I saw his eyes furrow, confused why he didn't pick up on it already and also why it is so different. 

Looking around, he spotted me. Our eyes meet and he smiled and waved.

   Honestly, I tried to smile back but I couldn't. I wasn't ready to be great with my dad just yet.

"Hey Katrina" he said, a smile on his face.

"Hey dad"

Awkward.....

"So the car is this way"

Picking up two of my bags, I trailed him towards a black Cadillac. Putting my bags in the trunk, I got in the front seat besides him and we began the drive home.

    The car was plagued with an awkward silence. It was clear that he wanted to talk to me but he didn't know how to start the conversation.

I looked of the window, refamiliarizing myself with my surrounding. It has being over 200 years since I've been here.

"Uhm, so we moved to another town" Alberto said, "we needed more space"

"Oh... That's cool"

"Yea it is. Its more spacious and everyone is really happy"

Great....

"Your sister and brother can't wait to meet you. And Jacqueline, she really missed you too Kat"

Nodding my head, I said nothing. I wasn't particularly trilled to be going home but it would be nice to see Jacqueline again. She might not have been my real mother, but she was a great person. One of the few that I genuinely missed.

"I missed you Dad. Despite everything, I missed you" I said, trying to be nice to him.

"I missed you too honey. And I just want to say I'm s.."

"I don't want your apologies Dad. You shouldn't have lied to me. You don't know what that did to me"

"Honey..."

"No Dad. Just drop it"

  I glared out the window pissed. That's what I get for trying to be nice.

Calm down Kat. This happened a long time ago. Just breathe.

I could feel the change in my body. My powers were trying to surface. Clenching my fist, I tried to control my breathing.

Close your eyes and picture the field.... Your peaceful place.