Chapter 1. After the End

Cardona was quiet after the tragedy of the missing children. Some had mourn over the lost ones and some celebrated the return of the others. Karen, who just turned sixteen was happy enough to have saved her brother from the enemy. So much had happened to her. She had discovered that she has the blood of a priestess and the blood of a Mangkukulam. She had learned that her best friend Thea is also a priestess and Gibo was a former god. She met Inigo, a half aswang teenager whom she fell in love with. They discovered even some of their classmates hide secrets similar to theirs. Sometimes she thinks it’s just a dream. But it was real. Her life had never been same as before. She checked her phone for messages. One text arrived. It was from Thea.

“Be at my place at 1 o’clock- Thea.” Karen sighted. It will be another Babaylan training. The text came too early since it was just dawn. She combed her long her and checked herself at the mirror. A typical Filipina, her looks are that of a mixed chinita and mestiza. Her bangs covered some of her forehead but she always make sure that it won’t reach her eyebrows. She went downstairs with her pajamas on. As usual her mom’s already up cooking up their breakfast. It has been on her daily routine to check the television early in the morning for weather updates and to wake her father and her little brother.

“Mom have you seen the remote control?” she surveys the room for the device but she can’t seem to find it in any of its usual place.

“I think Chris has brought it to his room. Be careful not to wake him up. He needs a lot of sleep.” Her mom reminded her. Karen quickly climbed up to get to Chris’ room. When she had opened the door of her brother’s room she was shocked to see her brother grew cat’s ears.

“Holly Molly!” she exclaimed. To add more surprise a tail came out of her brother’s blanked holding the remote control. Karen slowly walked towards her brother and quickly seized the remote control. Good thing the tail didn’t give her a hard time. It was as if the tail was also half asleep. This could be a problem. Karen thought. Chris moved. Suddenly he opened his eyes and the cat’s ears and tail shrink back.

“Hm? Why are you holding my remote control? I’m gonna watch cartoons….” He yawned and fell to is bed. It was surprising to find him sleeping again. Karen really needs to talk to Thea about this, or maybe to her father. She returned to the sofa and turned on the TV. Saturdays were always her favourite day. No school, no stress. Usual she will just spend the day sketching different things on her pad or listening to some good music. Now she rarely can do those things as she became an apprentice of her best friend. After finishing her omelette she decided to take a bath. This time she can have a good long bath. It took her 5 minutes to brush her teeth then she decided to have a shower. The water was cold but she doesn’t mind. Coldness has always been a comfort for her. While scrubbing her body she stopped. She then remembers Inigo and their last meeting. A bittersweet memory that seem to not fade in her head. She kept on wondering how he’s doing and if his girlfriend can really make him happy enough to leave her. His girlfriend was a nice girl and besides she’s the relationship crasher. They a couple even before they have met. She resume to wash her body. By the time she was cleaning her hair someone knocks on the door of their bathroom.

“I’m almost done!” she shouted to whoever was outside.

“Well Karen you need to hurry Gilbert is waiting for you outside.” It was her Dad. Not long ago he wanted Karen to forget the supernatural world but she had made it clear that someone needs to look over the folks who were oblivious to the dangers of the hidden world.

“Hai… ok tell him I’ll get dressed in 5 minutes.” Karen hurried to finish her bath. She hastened her steps towards the stairs and to her room. She did not expect to fell on the floor because of something that hits her ankle. She let a soft scream as she felt the pain rushing in. She concentrates to gather the free flowing energies diwa around her and willed them to heal her hurt ankles. She felt the energy surge as heat wave through her feet up to her entire body. “Now that feels better. What could have blocked my way?” she examined her room and found the box that comes with Boneneng, its contents scattered on the floor. Different stones, some were smooth, some were sharp and some were crystalline. Aside from the stones some fabrics were also scatter. They seem to be embroidered in pattern which she interpreted as waves. Lastly the small wooden chest with no key. The box had intrigue her for so long but since she doesn’t have the key up to this day she still doesn’t what’s inside of it. She picked those things up and placed them in one of her hello kitty painted box. All except the wooden chest which she intends to show to Gibo when she’s done getting dress. She was almost done getting dress up when suddenly Gibo knocks on her door.