Chapter 7. Ambushed

Thea and Gibo arrived at Tanay’s terminal going to Laguna. They’re not exactly going to Laguna, the real destination should be a Visayan province. Thea kept looking on her phone waiting for some update from Karen and once in a while a text from Miguel. She scratched her scalp remembering how she refused to answer his call and text him with minimum details. The guy must have been worried. Gibo was seated next her. He was quite which bothered Thea. She peaked into his side only to find her cousin with an intense look at his mobile phone.

“Hey what are you doing?” Thea asked. Then an electronic sound followed.

“Whut!!!!! Look at what you’ve done!?” He flashed his phone to show how his winning streak in Flappy birds was halted. It was not bad seeing the 300 score compare to Thea’s highest which is sadly, just 15.

“I’m sorry okay? Stop acting like a freak. What time is it?”

“It’s summer time hmp.” Gibo seemed frustrated and refused to show the time display on his phone. In retaliation she raised her left eye brow and took the phone from her pocket.

“It’s 11:55. 5 more minutes before “it” arrives.” Thea stood up and kick a can of soft drinks near her feet. Gibo started to play again. He did not mind Thea who kept on walking back and forth waiting for “it”. After four minutes Thea decided to sit down. She suddenly felt the hot temperature even though it is already midnight. Gibo stopped playing and intentionally lose the game for he felt the sudden change in the environment.

“It’s coming. Be ready.” At Gibo’s remark Thea tried to sense the presence that they have been waiting for. He looked around surveying the place if any by stander are there to witness what’s about to come. The temperature was getting hotter and hotter by each passing seconds. Then the station is filled with flickering light from a burning object. It was a Jeepney truck with flames all over it. Thea and Gibo were almost blinded by it until the fire burned down.

“Hello folks!” Says the driver. Thea approached him to give him a gold coin as their fare. The man looked at her and then she screamed hysterically. Gibo quickly covered her mouth with his hands.

“Shh. Quiet! I told you not to look him in the face. You might offend her.” Gibo took the gold coin and gave it to the driver. “Sorry about her uhm? Reaction. Just not used to this stuffs yet.”

“Sure Pare. She’s not as old as any of us. I guess she won’t appreciate my looks. I can’t blame her though.” If Gibo was to describe the driver’s appearance he would simply put as ‘A burned skeleton wearing a jacket and a cap, with eyes sewn to the skull’s socket.’ He never asked the guy how did he ended up like that. He knew the guy from before. They’ve known eye other for a hundred years ever since they’ve learn he provides an easier means to travel from the province to Rizal.

“Sorry sir.” Thea apologized before she entered the jeepney. Gibo patted the driver and joined Thea inside.

“What do I tell you about first times?” Gibo grinned at Thea.

“Never dare to do it if you’ve been warned.” Thea looked embarrass and hid her face using her back pack.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you. Be prepared for another scorching experience.” Soon enough everything around them started to burn. Thea tried to peak outside but after a minute everything in sight turned back. It was only the burning jeepney that they were in was visible to her. At times some laser beams passed by.

“Travelling ghosts.” Gibo whispered. Thea tried to touch one that was close to her side. Gibo grabbed her hands. He looked serious. Thea is not used in these scenarios were Gibo is the one who lectures her. It can’t be helped. It was her first spirit travel. An alternative means of transportation that can only be down by spirits who possessed a vast amount of diwa. Gibo said when they first came to Rizal it was only a spirit travel. The travel requires the passengers to have knowledge of the diwa so it can be junctioned to the spectral vehicle.