Chapter 2. Unwelcomed Guests

Angelo remembered back when he was still a kid that his parents used to have this parties at their mansion more than twice a year. Prominent people will be there from politicians to actors to models and even to business tycoons. His mom would always get dressed up for these parties wearing their trademark all black get up. Today his parents looked him in the eye as if they were really happy to see him. But Angelo knows better. His parents among all the people that he knew, were master pretenders. They were good at lying and hiding their emotions.

“Hijo! I miss you so much!” his mom approached him first while his dad just sit quietly sipping some coffee.

“Francine can you get some supplies at the grocery? I think we’re running out of canned goods.” Angelo signalled his wife to move out of the house.

“Oh sure. I did notice that. Nice meeting you Sir, Madam. May I excuse myself?” Francine hurriedly went up to get some money. Angelo just stood there looking at his mother’s eye. Soon enough Francine went out of the house.

“Mama, why are you two here?”

“What kind of question is that?” His dad finally spoke. His almost bald with white moustache and white beard. Wearing his black tuxedo that they use as uniform in the Villaruel estate.

“You know what I mean Papa.” He wanted to make them spill the bean right away before Chris and Karen can interact with their grandparents.

“Oh dear, we are here to see how you’ve been? It’s been ages since we last saw you.” His mom embraced him. He thought the two aren’t concern about their clothing as even his mother wore an elegant dress that doesn’t fit well in the neighbourhood.

“Spit it out please. I know you’re here for a reason. It’s been 5 years and you two never even looked for me.”

“Ah about that? That’s all thanks to your complex spell weren’t able to track you down.” Senior Villaruel answered calmly. He took another sip of the coffee and smiled at his son. Angelo was shocked to see his father age younger. When he looked at his mother she was no longer the old lady wearing dress but a woman who seem to be at his age.

“What is the meaning of this?” astounded he fell on the floor.

“This is the fruit of our labour! Look at us! We are no longer wrinkled. We have learned to manipulate time thanks to The Hucloban.” Roberta, Angelo’s mother proudly flaunted her youthful skin.

“You can also earn this power. Just let us know.” As his father stopped from talking as he reverts back to his old self.

“You know my answer. You shouldn’t have bothered to visit me just for that.” Angelo pointed his fingers towards the door to signal them that it’s time to go.

“Darling don’t be rude to your father!” His mother glared at him.

“Roberta, por fabor, don’t try to convince that rascal. Besides, we’re not here for him.” Those words from Senior Villaruel sent chills on Angelo’s spine.

…..

Karen was on the tree top observing her evil grandparents. A while ago she had bumped into her dad as she tried to escape meeting her sorcerer relatives. Her dad assured her that he can handle the two and so she opted to hide instead. She made such concealment by using the diwa to hide her presence. Lately she had been getting better at using this unique ability to manipulate the energies around her. As a matter of fact she can actually enhance her senses by applying an ample amount of this energy on her preferred sense. Like this moment. She had been listening to their conversation from afar by enhancing her hearing. She also monitors her younger brother up to his room. He appears to be playing with his toys unaware of the situation below. Karen scratched her back after feeling some ant bites. She focused again on listening. From what she can perceive her grandparents aim to take her father back with them. But soon it became apparent that what they really intend to take away is either her or her little brother. The conversation seem so intense Karen can almost feel their burst of emotions. She was even shocked to find the old couples transform into their younger selves. Something that defies the law of nature. Karen no longer lingered on that thought as he can see the old man releasing an invisible force that aims to target her dad. At times like this Karen can’t make up her mind quickly. She started to count. One, two, three, if this goes on until number ten then it’s time to face her dad’s old man.