Chapter 12. Mansion of Menace

Chapter 12. The Mansion of Menace

The limousine enter the “Salamangca Subdivision” moments after they arrived at Quezon City. It looks a lot like other subdivisions but the houses were antique and seemed very expensive. Karen got scared of the idea living there. If one would exam the area, it gives off the ‘throwback” vibe as if they’re living in the past. Every house look the same, the windows are made of capiz but all the house were stones. The Spanish influence lingers on these houses. Oddly Karen can’t see any person in the subdivision. All the houses’ light were turned off even though it was already evening. It was as if Karen was entering a very dark abyssal dimension. Mercutio then turned left, Karen thought it was because the location of the mansion was there. But then after traversing for 5 minutes he turned left again, another 5 minutes and her turned left again. Karen was getting confuse.

“What are you doing? We’ve been circling this street for 2 times already!” Karen screamed. Mercutio didn’t reply, instead he continued his turning consistently to the left. Fauxnel took out his smartphone and started to dial.

“Yes master, we’re here. Just two turns and we’ll break through the dimensional fold.” Then he slid it down his coat once more. After the 6th turn instead of seeing the old ancestral houses everything seem to fade like they were being blurred until an image of a castle like structure appeared.

“We’re here. Fauxnel help the lady.” Mercutio commanded. Fauxnel took Karen’s suitcase first before assisting her out of the limousine. Karen’s mouth went agape when she saw the details of the castle like structure. It was enormous. Not to mention the space outside of the building is as wide as the football field that she had seen in the TV.

“Welcome to the Villaruel Estate. Seniorita Karen let us guide you inside your new home.” Fauxnel politely spoke. Karen got goose bumps from his words. After all Fauxnel seem nonchalant in their every conversation so the change of tone bothered her somehow. She looked straight ahead towards the gates. There were no guards that served as sentinels. There was just an iron gate. A gigantic one. Mercutio tapped Karen’s shoulder to stop her. Then he moved forward and chanted. 

“Blood and bones. Crush the stones. Whisper tones,We do not atone.”

Then the gate slowly opened itself. Karen saw the vast gardens, she saw one part with roses of different colors, and then she move her vision to the ones nearer to her. There was a fountain with a woman statue atop of it. She was holding a book beaming towards their direction. Waters came out from the book as if she was casting a spell using it. But Karen got frightened when she took a closer look at the statue’s face. Tears were coming out from its eyes. Then she noticed two boys at the same age as her looking at her hiding behind the bushes. They were both shirtless and full of bruises and whip mark.

“Who are they?” Karen grasp Fauxnel’s sleeves.

“Oh them? New recruits. They’re warlocks whose families skipped 10 generations and thus they don’t know much knowledge of their powers. They must have mess up really bad for the master to punish them. They will sleep in garden till morning comes.” Fauxnel didn’t even bother to look at them.

“That’s so cruel…” Karen didn’t want to continue because the two boys were already glaring at her. Mercutio noticed that. He motioned his hand apart from each other. At the same time the two boys went flying opposite from one another. The hit the trees nearby and the lost consciousness. Karen realized those boys were naked.

“There they won’t bother you anymore.” The emotionless Mercutio cued Karen to just walk ahead. She was afraid of what she saw. She was supposed to tell him it’s wrong but her fears got the best of her. She tried summoning her diwa but she seemed disconnected from it. When they got closer to the door there was a woman in a maid uniform. She has black hair tied up in a ponytail.