Chapter 14: Looming Shadows

Yumeko woke up in the middle of the night. Akemi was sleeping beside her. She looked very tired. Yumeko suddenly groan out of pain.

“Yumeko! Are you hurt?” Akemi was quick to get up. She checked her twin’s shoulder. The wound was not healing at all. But at least she was awake now. It’s been two days since she remained unconscious.

“It still hurts. But I think I’m getting numb from its pain.” Yumeko forced a smile. But she knows her twin sister very well. She can see through her. Akemi opened her mouth when the door opened.

“Who’s there?!” Akemi out of fear grabbed her Naginata as it started to glow. The man was the old quack doctor. He was carrying a huge sack. Behind him is another old man, who has a very long beard. Then Miguel followed them.

“Akemi? You don’t remember this man? This is the Albularyo who helped us, Marcelo. The one with the long beard is may Lolo Jacinto.” The twin noticed that Miguel was helping his Lolo in carrying another huge sack. Then the three visitors started to remove the strings then pulled whatever was inside it. The sisters gasped when they saw what was inside.

……..

Thea stood frozen at the sight of Mang Kado. She was a bit jealous when Mang Kado hugged Olivia and Ansel the moment he appeared. She wasn’t sure if he didn’t notice her. Nevertheless she was glad to know he is alive. Just last moment she saw him with her own eyes being swallowed into the underworld. Olivia looked embarrass as her father tickles her. Ansel on the other hand, has a hard expression on his face.

“What’s the problem my boy?” Mang Kado asked his eldest son.

“Oh? Nothing.” He suddenly smiled. The sudden shift of expression scared Thea. She doesn’t know why but she can feel something was off. But to her surprise it was Olivia who made a scene.

“How could you! You left us here while you took care of that brat! Then we will receive such news as you were dead?” Olivia was crying as she expressed her anger. “Don’t you know it was so hard to know the only parent you have is dead? And what about your promise to tell us the identity of our mother?” everyone in the hall stopped when they notice what was happening.

“My little one, this is not the right place and the right time” Mang Kado has a defeated look on his face.

“Not the right time? You were already a dead man a few days ago and the right time is yet to come? What are you” before Olivia can finish she was interrupted by a superior voice. A voice that gives command.

“Stop this! Olivia, you may leave now. Ricardo escort your daughter and lecture her on her manners. The villagers will be upset at the sight of us quarrelling.” Thealona is back in her old appearance.

“But how about your words for the upcoming trial? She needs that orientation” Mang Kado was worried. Suddenly Olivia runs out from the crowd crying.

“Father I’ll just orient her later. Go on follow her. She might hide inside one of Barangaws rainbow if you don’t hurry.”

“Thanks Ansel. Listen carefully so you can help your sister. This is my fault. I didn’t even know the rainbow god fancied my daughter.” Mang Kado hurried to catch up with his daughter.

“Now the rest of you, if you have anything like that in your hearts you might as well leave this meeting” Thealona eyed her grandchildren one by one. They all look back at her with serious expressions. “Now that’s what I want. Now going back with our business. You will undergo trial selected by me, the Tagalog Babaylan and the Babaylan from Mindanao. You will have four trials. Each testing your knowledge of the four paths. Whoever passes all four will inherit my position as the leader of the babaylans in our region.” She took a deep breath and continue, “Because time is of the essence, the summit between the three main factions of the babaylan will be held here while the trials are ongoing. All three leaders have received a vision from the great One. A war is coming before us. We need to be prepared.”