Chapter 12: Truth Be Told

Skylar Mercer

"Why are we here?" Riley asked, he furrowed his brows and scanned his eyes over the woods.

For once, I didn't actually know how he would react. Being so far from him for so long messed with our twin abilities and I didn't understand him anymore. I was sure he didn't get me either. Nevertheless, he still cared. He comforted me, he stood by me and that's all I could ever ask for.

What if he told? What if because of him I would be kidnapped by a secret government and experimented on? What if everyone found out I was truly a beast? It's overwhelming.

I took a deep breath and nervously straightened my back, this is Riley we're talking about. I've known him forever, he can't have changed that much over the span of two years.

No Sky, there's no going back. You've brought him here and now you're going to spill your guts out.

"It's beautiful," he murmured in amazement, his eyes bewildered by the wild flowers and vibrant green leaves.

I stood by him, mesmerised too. These woods was different from the rest that I've been to, it was like it was made for me-made for a wolf. It is truly beautiful.

"Well?" He asked, turning to me with a questioning gaze. I shook my head and smiled, showing him to wait a second. I pulled on his arm and we walked to the small river that ran by through the centre of the wood. Once there, we sat on the large boulders and stared into the blue water.

It was several minutes till I first spoke.

"Do you remember when Emily, Violet, Yasmin and I went camping that day? You know, the one where there was an accident and I ended up in the hospital," I muttered quietly, my voice was a whisper against the swishing and swashing of the water.

"Yeah," he said, "a couple of days after our birthday."

I nodded, "I was screaming when I woke up about a monster trying to kill me, remember? You almost believed me because of my bite mark," I said.

"But then you said monsters don't exist, it must've been a wild coyote," I added, a soft smiling pulling at the ends of my mouth. I remember when he barged into my hospital room with a bunch of printouts trying to convince me I was going to be okay, that I wasn't crazy and that it was just an animal.

He nodded, urging me to go on.

I held onto his hand, smiled slightly and unmasked my emotions.

"You were wrong, brother," I murmured softly. "You were so wrong."

"Sky, you don't have to-"

"Yes I do," I butted in, "I need to be honest with you and the only way I'm ever going to breathe without weight on my shoulders is by confessing why I left."

He nodded.

"A little under a week later Dr Mansfield came by and he was so surprised by the fact the wound was almost healed," I said,"he was sure it would scar, he almost had a heart attack when he realised that didn't happen," I chuckled. My face turned solemn, "I wish I never did heal."

"After the bite disappeared, there was something strange going on with me, like I had all these new abilities that I didn't understand. My senses were heightened, it's hard to explain, but I changed," I said, shrugging my shoulders when I couldn't find the right words.

"You know that night I went missing?" I asked, my heart clenched at the thought.

"Yeah, worst day of my life," he chucked bitterly, "why?"

"No, a couple of days before I disappeared. You know, when I didn't come home all night long and showed up in the morning," He nodded knowingly.

"Yeah well I spent the night in the nearby woods," I said and his head shot up and his forehead creased.

"Sky you really don't need to ex-" he began.

I squeezed my eyes shut, fully aware how loud my heart was beating and how fast my blood was racing, it's now or never. "I'm a wolf," I squeaked as fast as I could. My eyes were still forced shut as I waited for Riley to scream and scatter away.

Shock ran through me as I felt a hand on my shoulder, "I know."

I know.

I was perplexed. My mind tried to wrap itself around what he just said. I tried to make sense of it, but I couldn't. He knows. What's that supposed to mean? Panic kicked in as tears threatened to spill.

He knows.

He knew all along.

He knew my secret.

For how long?

"I've known since the moment you turned," he said, as if reading my mind. Oh, perhaps the twin telepathy hadn't failed after all.

I pulled myself away from him and ripped my hand from his, "How?" I whispered hoarsely. "How could you have known? You were clueless like mom and dad, you even tried to convince me I was seeing things!" I yelled, tears fell from my eyes in a heartbeat.

"Because Sky," he began, "I'm exactly like you."

Then I blacked out.

***

"Is she dead?" I heard someone whisper, Zak I think. I heard shuffling around me and tried to piece together what happened, with my eyes closed still.

Riley.

Then my eyes snapped wide open, "Nothing can kill me, you moron, nothing!" I joked, Zak turned to me with a shocked expression and an O formed on his lips. We stared at each other awkwardly for several minutes before I decided to speak up.

"Is my brother here?" I asked, looking around my room, "where are we anyway?"

Zak smiled genuinely, there was no usual arrogance or cockiness, he was literally smiling at me. "This," he motioned to the room, "is yours."

I almost chocked on my own spit.

"Zak! You didn't tell her did you?" I heard a voice yell from behind the door. I glanced at it, startled. Riley shortly entered, a golden aura surrounded him as he grinned like a little child on Christmas morning.

"I'm being serious, what's going on?" I squinted, the light shining onto my eyes hurt like hell. They were pretty sensitive during the day.

Riley glared at Zak, then turned to me with a beaming smile, "welcome to your new home," he motioned to the room around him.

I widened my eyes, this was unbelievable. "You mean..." I began.

He nodded eagerly, waiting for my reply as I stared at him with disbelief. I didn't know how to react. Was this supposed to be a good or bad thing? We only just got back to knowing each other, now I was living with him too?

"We'll get to know each other again while you stay here," he said.

Wait, did he just read my mind? How did he do that? Should I be worried?

He chuckled to himself, his eyes danced with amusement. He made his way to my bed and sat on the edge, his hand holding onto mine gently.

"We are family," he began and I nodded, raising my brows. "Therefore, you and I share a mind link."

I bit my lip and thought about it for a second, "nope, don't get it."

"Basically," he sighed, "I can read your mind and you can read mine. Like twin telepathy, except it's wolf telepathy. Comprende?"

I nodded, "one problem, I can't read yours," I said. He laughed and shook his head, I was still unsure of what was going on in that head of his.

"What now?" I asked, my eyes tracing over his face. He had grown so much since I was saw him, from a little whiney kid, he turned into a man.

"Well, I think you've been separated from mom and dad for long enough."

"You mean..." I began and he nodded.

"They're boarding their private jet now," he said and glance down at his watch, "should be here in a couple of hours."

I gulped and forced my eyes shut, I was about to meet the people I've been running away from for 2 years. This isn't going to be easy.

A/N: I hope you enjoyed this chapter and happy Easter guys! xoxo