Chapter 17: Daddy Issues

Skylar Mercer

I held The Catcher In The Rye in my hands, tracing the golden title on the spine with my fingers delicately.

Why this book? There has to be a connection and I need to know it.

"Hey-" Libby began, on hearing her voice I shoved the book behind me, trying not to look as if I'm hiding something. From the questioning look etched across her face I was sure I miserably failed.

"Uh hey, is everything okay?" I asked, my eyes wandered across the room and then fell back on her. She shrugged and slid onto the floor beside me, leaning against the bookcase.

"I don't know," she began, "if I'm being honest with you." I studied her for a second. Her dishevelled hair was usually perfect and her makeup- wait, she wasn't even wearing any.

"Libby, what's going on?"

She narrowed her eyes, eyeing me up and down-like she did before we became friends. "Why don't you tell me?"

I widened my eyes, that's not what I was expecting. I furrowed my brows trying to find a reasonable excuse for her attitude towards me. "What are you trying to say?" I asked.

She stared at me for a second before sighing. She buried her face in her hands. I heard a muffled 'I'm sorry' before she looked up at me again, her eyes moist.

"It's Harry," she murmured, "he cornered me last night, he was so angry, in so much pain," she shuddered, "it's my fault."

I grabbed her hand and looked her straight in the eyes, "you can't blame yourself for something you had no control over. He lost his girl friend so how could his pain be your fault?"

She rested her head on my shoulder. "I was jealous of her, you know. Anna had everything. She was a nice person at least that's what everyone thinks. I was her best friend, I knew her under all those layers of sweetness and she wasn't the person everyone thought she was," she said. "And Harry? He never loved her. He suddenly thought he did after her death because he neglected her so much to begin with. They weren't a couple, either. They both slept around, it was just a matter of pleasing their parents," she explained.

She looked up at me, "it's f*cked up as hell. I shouldn't have had feelings for him in the first place and I- you just can't help who you fall for, I don't know why I got caught into this but it's too late and I-" she rambled on and on, her voice breaking towards the end of her nonsense.

"Shut up," I cut in, "it's done. It's all over. Sitting here and overwhelming yourself isn't going to fix your problems, alright? If there's one thing I've learnt then it's that you can't run so don't waste time trying." I held onto her hand and spoke honestly, "you might never recover from this but it's up to you to try and honestly you've got your whole life waiting for you so don't let it go because of this."

Neither of us spoke after that. The silent was comforting as we sat side by side, enjoying the quiet calm and peace in our lives- even if it really was just for a moment.

***

Amelia Clarke

I forcefully shoved past him with clenched fists as I steamed with anger. Glaring at the dark walls of his office, I turned back to face him. Watching him stand there brought about a thousand thoughts to run through my mind. I hated him.

"What do you want from me, Richard?"

He smirked, pain flashed through his eyes for a moment before returning to their normal cold, hard state. "That's no way to talk to your father," he stated.

I was violently shaking now. Breathe, Mel, breathe. I can't let this man get to me. It's not about me anymore, it's about my baby and my child's safety comes first no matter what the cost.

"Oh so now you're my father?" I sneered, the amused look on his face unnerved me further. I just want to slap the smug look off of his face.

"Amelia you are testing my patience. You will not put this alliance into jeopardy or so help me God I will-"

"What?" I questioned, "take my baby away? I've heard that before, Richard. I'll never let that happen."

He shook his head and rolled back his shoulders before sliding into his chair. "I will only do what needs to be done."

I laughed, shaking lividly. "So you would take your grandchild away from its mother just because she wouldn't marry a high schooler?"

He sighed, shaking his head to himself as if he was saying that I wouldn't understand a matter such as this. Women are feeble after all- in the eyes of this man and those who follow him.

"He is not just any 'high schooler', do you even realise who he is and what power he has? His line is the greatest of them all, power runs through his veins. On top of that he has the makings of a true leader-"

"With no people to lead," I cut in and muttered under my breath. I wouldn't have thought that my dad had easily forgotten about the half-massacre and brainwashing of Cole's former pack.

My father frowned and ignored me, "this alliance is necessary if we want to be safe." I stared at him with such disappointment. If my mom was here now she would never believe the man he's become. Using his own daughter and grandchild as pawns in a war of blood and hatred for power is the lowest of all things he could have ever done to me. Now that is a real betrayal.

"Cole Daniels is just that, a teenage orphan with no friends and no real power. I don't know what you think you're doing but he, and I swear by this, will never defeat the Carnells so stop with the wishful thinking," I shouted angrily, tears brimming my eyes as I felt the black khol sting.

I forced my eyes shut. I won't cry in front of this monster. I won't give him the satisfaction of seeing me weak.

"It's a matter of weeks. You'll be married to one of the most powerful wolves in the world. Any other woman would feel privileged."

I inwardly scoffed at that. Cole Daniels is not capable of anything and he is yet to show he has any power at all - if any. Of course, I thought, anything you say father.

I held my head high and walked past him toward the door. I turned back smiling, "your plan will crumble, you can be sure of that," then I strode straight out of his office, with tears streaming down my face.

A/N: I know it's short but I hope you guys still enjoyed it! No romance in this chapter but there will be some coming up with other characters & what do you think of Richard Clarke and his relationship with his daughter? What are your thoughts on his claims about Cole's bloodline? ;)

Comment your thoughts, I'd really like to hear what each of you has to say and it helps give me a clue as to how to carry on!!

Thanks for reading x