Chapter 10: Masquerade

I glanced over at my bed and on it laid silk, pure rich silk. I sniffled and wiped my smudged mascara with my hands. My tears had almost dried up now, it had been almost two hours since I read the note. I couldn't stop crying. My heart was broken.

I still couldn't believe it.

A knock at the door came unexpectedly causing my to slowly get up from my bed and make my way to the door and peak through the hole. I didn't need any visitors right now. I wanted to be left alone. Like I normally am.

It was Riley.

I gulped. What was I supposed to do now? My twin brother, who should hate me is standing outside my door. He wanted to see me. Why? After everything I did to him, here he was.

I hate myself for leaving him like that. I abandoned him. I felt even more guilty that he was trying to make things okay. Yet here I was, refusing to acknowledge him.

I needed my brother more than anything right now.

I pulled the door open and stared openly at my brother before I threw my arms around him and buried my head in his neck. I sobbed and sobbed, unable to stop the tears from falling.

My tears came rushing down as I cried, clinging on to my brother as if my life depended on it. He seemed shocked at first, but eventually he put his arms around me too. I was grateful I finally had him back. I wouldn't give him up for the world. I wanted to cry to it was all gone, I've been holding on for too long. Everything I was unable to express before was coming out now.

I felt safe in his arms.

But they reminded me of how much pain I had caused him. I had completely broken him two years ago, and now he was back with a secret. I didn't know him anymore and he didn't know me but at this very second, I was sure that through our silence, he was telling me that everything was going to be alright. He understood me. We didn't need to speak. Without words, he said that things will change, that I wasn't going to be sad forever.

And I trusted him.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry for everything. I know I hurt you when I left, but I swear I had to you. You don't understand what would have happened if I had stayed Riley!" I cried over his shoulder.

He didn't know what I was so he wouldn't ever know what it's like.

"It's okay Sky, it's alright. Everything's going to be okay now that I'm here."

I suddenly forgot all my worries, the note, the stalker, Cole. All I could see was Riley and I.

I silently thanked God for sending him back to me.

***

I smiled as I glanced up at Riley.

We both sat cross legged on my bed, facing each other with grins as we told our adventures of the last two years. So much had happened, so much had changed. Riley was different, he had grown up without me. From what I hear, he's a supposed heartbreaker, a player...just like Cole, so it seemed.

Like Riley would ever be like Cole. I scoffed at the thought. It was ridiculous. Riley was too kind hearted.

A tear escaped by eye as thoughts of Cole flooded my mind. I missed him. A lot.

"Hey, don't cry," Riley whispered, pulling me into his arms. I needed to move on from everything that's happened in my life. Crying seemed like the only option.

What could I do other than cry?

"I can't go tonight," I sniffled, "I just can't."

Riley nodded with understanding.