Chapter 16: Kiss Me, Don't Kiss Me

Skylar Mercer

Everything stopped.

I didn't care that Riley and Zak were trying to get my attention or that Libby and Harry were glaring at each other from the corner of my eye. I ignored the student body as they rushed around trying to get to first period alive. I didn't care about any of them or the fact that I was standing in the hallway staring. Staring at Cole Daniels.

It's not one of those moments when your heart skips a beat and you want to flutter your eyelashes and fall into a guys arms, then have him kiss you into oblivion. No, it wasn't like that at all.

I felt nothing but relief. I don't know what we are or how we are but none of that matters if he's not okay. He's been gone for so long. Some days he's here and others he's not. I just want him to stay, even if it's not with me, I don't want him to walk out of my life for good.

He stared back at me. The emotion in his glistening green eyes was hard to read. I couldn't make him out and I don't think I ever could.

We didn't smile or leap into each other's arms. We just stood there, holding each other in our gazes. Drinking each other in.

Then time became conscious again.

Libby tugged on my sleeve and followed my gaze to Cole. I forced my eyes shut for a moment and turned to face her, losing the connection I had with him.

She narrowed her eyes at him scrutinisingly, "don't go there."

I know she was just trying to help. Of course I'd never physically go over to Cole and talk to him again unless I had to. It was just kind of...I don't know. There something there. Like a pull between us, an invisible connection linking us both together. Or maybe that's just my imagination.

"I won't," I murmured. Then I glanced at her, grinning. "You know," I began, "I think Harry likes you."

She rolled her eyes and scoffed. Turning back to her locker, she pulled out the novel we're studying in English.

I shrugged and leaned closer, "he may act like he doesn't like you but if he didn't, why would he bother so much?"

I glanced across the hallway at him. He looked so innocent and untouched from the cruel reality of this world as he laughed at a joke Jayden made. Little did anyone know, appearances can be deceptive and Harry's world has been turned upside down for so long and he's just accepted it for what it is.

He sensed me staring at him and glanced at me, sending me a small smile. I smiled back reassuringly.

"Maybe because he's a little douche?" She asked rhetorically, turning back to face The Four after shutting her locker.

"I don't know," I began, "you can't know someone from afar." I raised a brow, "did you ever expect me to be anything other than Nerd-lar?"

She laughed and shook her head, "maybe you're right."

I furrowed my brows, "what happened to that nickname by the way? No one calls me it anymore," I said slowly, trying to understand why anyone would stop. I'm still a nerd - at least I thought I was. "Did you say something?"

She raised her hands and shook her head, "that's all Cole Daniels." Right I thought. Only one guy could hold that much power in our school seeing as he reclaimed the nickname I'm pretty sure he gave me himself.

"Whatever," I said, "let's go." Libby walked ahead of me and before I caught up, I whispered 'thank you' to myself because I didn't have it in me to say it to Cole.

The day went by fast. Being the end of year meant most lessons were just revision lessons for the upcoming exams. Since I was used to studying in the library seeing as though I didn't have much space in my apartment, I decided to stay a couple of hours in the school library.