Twenty One

a/n: this is a bit of a crazy... deep and dark chapter with suicidal thoughts. i am not sure if this is proper trigger warning, but i'm giving y'all a heads up just in case.

She stood there right in front of me. The wind was blowing her hair back, letting me take in her beautiful face. Her eyes that seemed to pierce right through me. Her cute nose that I adored when they scrunch. And lips so kissable, I would be in a haze right after.

But who was she?

Was she Cheryl? Hailey?

I couldn't make up much since it was a blur. A glitch. A virus right before me.

And when she took a step closer, grass magically appeared out of nowhere. The distance seemed miles and miles away as it crawls. Still a blurry vision.

I saw her delicate and small hand reaching over. And warmth was all I felt when it reached to cup my cheek. The sensation of safety and home rushed through my veins.

Who are you?

Suddenly, she smiled that showed her teeth. Trees appeared, the sky turned powder blue, clouds covered us from the bright yellow sun; she held me in her hand. Could this be it? Could this be home?

Her lips neared my ears and she whispered, "Follow me."

So, I did. She twists around and took light steps. It felt so magical. It was like wonderland. Everything suddenly surprises me with their appearance with every step she takes. She made it seem like she owned this place, in which maybe she did.

I turn to look to the side and saw Cheryl's car. Why was it here? Am I talking to Cheryl?

"Zariah," she called me, gaining my attention. A bright sunlight blocked her face coming from behind. She sighs, "Take my hand."

Without much of a word exchange, I took it. Her hand interlaced with mine as I neared her. She looked at me with a smile before we continued to walk.

It was so weird. I didn't know what was happening.

The place shifted itself into the gymnasium, and here we were again. Prom. I don't know what was happening to me and why I keep on dreaming about prom. Was I excited? And who do I even plan to take as a date? Cheryl? Hailey? Who?

When I tried opening my mouth, I couldn't speak. It was as if I was unable to. I was mute. I tried screaming, but nothing.

The unknown girl brought us to the middle of the venue and she turns around to look at me in the eye. Or so it felt like it. And there she goes again, caressing my cheek with her homely hands.

"Don't cry. I know what you did," she pauses, creating this fear inside of me, "and I know you were only doing it for protection. So stop crying." I was crying? Since when? Now?

My eyes slowly closed, letting darkness take me in. There were no sounds surrounding me. It was just me and darkness. I was settled in the middle. And when I opened my eyes once again, she was gone and I was sitting down on a swing.

My hands gripped tight in the chain when I heard somebody speak, "Well, well, well... if it isn't Zariah King herself, looking like a child in front of me."

I knew that voice. It was a voice that I despised for years after. It was him.

"You..." I turn my head around, terrified. "You're alive."

He smirks. And let me tell you, it reminded me of William. Somewhat, they looked alike and it was frightening.

"Oh, I am..." His villainous laugh echoed in the room as he slowly took baby steps towards me. "And I'm here for payback."