Chapter 18.

I had my future planned. Go to college, get my dream job, marry my soulmate, and have a family. The perfect life for me. But here's the thing, life is not meant to be perfect. There will be obstacles. There will be setbacks. Four years ago, I never would have thought I was about to have the Gangleaders son, but here I am. No college degree nor a job. I got two of those things right, though. I am marrying my soulmate, and we are starting our family.

   "This is the third time he's kicked me so hard."
   "Are you sure you're not in labor?"
   "But he's not due for six more days."
   "Evelyn, you know a due date is not a birth date, right?"
   "Of course! Shouldn't I know if I'm in labor though?"

   The baby kicked once again. I looked around the nursery. We were ready for our baby to be here. Lily and I just got done with the last load of laundry and are currently trying to find places in the closet for everything. "Will he even wear all these clothes? I mean come on," Lily held two onesies up, "he already has two onesies for Christmas and it's July!" I took the baby clothes from her and put them in one of the baskets. "People get excited about buying clothes for a baby. At least he'll know he's loved."

   This baby was loved. He's one of the best things to happen to me, the other two being his dad and his uncle. "I still can't believe you didn't want a baby shower. I already made a board on Pinterest for it!" I laughed, Lily was obsessed with Pinterest. "He's already got everything he needs, we don't need more gifts. And besides, you couldn't have invited many people. The only people I know are the people in this house!"

   Emmet came running in, "can we go to the mooweys?" I looked down at the four year old tugging on my shirt, "did you ask Ron?" He nodded his head and said, "he say to awsk you." Of course he did. "Okay, but he's in charge of getting you ready!" I took one last look of the baby-less room and walked out, when my baby will finally be laying in that crib?

I found Aaron giving Emmet a bath. The sight alone made my heart leap out of my chest. My future most definitely did not go according to plan, but I couldn't imagine anything better. "Are y'all going to play all day or are we going to go see Cars 3?" I sat down on the edge of the bathtub. "We are almost done, just a few more spots to wash." I kissed Aaron's cheek, "thank you. I'm going to go get ready." I began to get up but felt another sharp pain in my stomach. "Are you okay, angel?" I took a deep breath, "yes, I'm fine. The baby's just kicking a little harder today." I sent both Emmet and Aaron a reassuring smile and waddled my way to the closet.

I tugged on a pair of black pants and slipped on my all time favorite shirt yet. Lily had gotten this for me two weeks ago. I grabbed my denim button up and wore it over, creating a "I'm pregnant so don't mess with me" look. I felt another hard kick. This one was so bad I had to walk to the bed and sit down, focusing on my breathing. "We're ready when you are!" My two favorite boys yelled from the bathroom. Smiling, I followed them downstairs.

   Throughout the entire movie I felt sharp kicks in my stomach. Aaron and Emmet were so into the movie they didn't notice the death grip I had on the chair. Finally, the movie ended and we began to gather our things, all this pregnant momma wanted was a nap! I stood up and began walking towards the aisle when my world shifted. I reached down and touched the crotch of my pants, soaked. "Aaron? I need your help." I held on to the seats as I felt the water flow down my legs. "What's wrong? Are you ok?" He held my arm, trying to get me to sit down. "I'm fine, but my water just broke."

   He looked at me and then the puddle at my feet, "we have to get to the hospital now! I'll call my mom, she'll want to be there! Oh, and Lily can stay with Emmet..." "Aaron? Can we make phone calls on the car? Right now we need to focus on getting to the hospital." I walked out to the car, holding on to Aaron's hand, trying not to blush every time Aaron yelled "move people! My wife is in labor!" Emmet of course didn't know what was happening, he is currently ranting about who his favorite race car was (Lightning Mcqueen, duh!).

   Because we were already in town, it only took us 8 minutes to get to the hospital. Aaron's mother met us there, Lily a few minutes later with the hospital bags for us and the baby. 32 minutes later and I was dilated to 9 cm. I was currently trying not to break Aaron's hand but every time that dang baby kicked I felt the pain, and so should he. The doctor came into the room, "alright Evelyn, I'm going to exam you before we can begin to push just to make sure everything is where we need to be." I nodded my head, ready to get this baby out. They have me an epidural shot but it still hurt so freaking bad.

   "Okay Evelyn, it looks like the baby has rotated himself so now his feet are going to come out first. You are now dilated at a 9.5 so there won't be time to try and rotate him now so we are going to need to do an emergency cesarean section. There is no need to worry, this is very common in births." I held Aaron's hand as they began to roll the bed towards the operating room. "You're going to be fine ok, these doctors know what they're doing, we're gonna be holding our baby boy in a few minutes." Aaron reached down and kissed me once we reached the OR. A nurse took him to the side to gown him as the others prepared me.

   Aaron looked me in the eyes the entire time. Even though he was wearing a mask, I could tell he was smiling every time the doctor said something to us. Finally, the cries we longed to hear were cried.