Chapter 13.

His deep voice echoed in my head. "Emmet! Get in the car now!" The man was still beyond me, poking something into my back. Emmet ran up to the car, walking unsurely to the door. "Em, get in the car and lock the doors. Okay, my little goldfish?"

When Emmet was two years old, we came up with the code word goldfish. If I ever called him that he was to find the nearest phone and dial 911. I decided we needed a code word when the man first appeared.

Emmet got into the car, the click of the doors locking following. Thank goodness Aaron had tinted the windows so much you couldn't see through them.

"Now it's just me. Do what you want, just don't get my baby brother involved." The man chuckled, "oh come on, princess, I wouldn't hurt him. All I want is you."

   One hand rested protectively on my stomach, the other still frozen on the door handle. I couldn't move; although I was dying to turn around and kick this son of a gun right where the sun won't shine. "Why are you here? Im done with you. We haven't been 'we' for 3 years!"

   A hand slid down my shoulder, resting on my waist. My skin was crawling, this is not the man I want touching me. "I still love you." His words made the hair on my arms rise. "You belong to me. Only me! I'm not letting you go, not ever again."

   I couldn't stand it anymore. The second his lips touched my neck I spun around, anger running through my veins. "Get. Your. Filthy. Hands. Off. Me." The man's green eyes found mine, filled with rage, then lust. "I've always liked a girl with some attitude. I missed yours." His eyes trailed down my body, stopping at the hand resting on my stomach.

Confusion wrapped around his face; a couple seconds later, anger replaced it. He grabbed both of my arms and pinned me against my car. His gun still in his hand.

My world could have ended right then and there. The only witness, my four year old baby brother. But, I wasn't the one who was getting beaten. No, it was the man. He was on the ground, a familiar figure on top of him, punching his face in.

   Blood was everywhere, I knew that if I didn't stop him, Aaron would kill the man. But I couldn't move. Justin and Luke came running from another car, pulling Aaron off. I was frozen, staring at the scene in front of me. Justin held Aaron back while Luke was standing in front of the man still lying on the ground.

My eyes found Aaron's, his face instantly softened. Justin let go of him and he walked over to me, pulling my body against his. I couldn't fight back the tears anymore, soaking the cloth between his shoulder and neck. My body shook in Aaron's arms. By the time I could lift my head off of him, the mans body was gone, and Justin was holding Emmet.

Emmet reached for me, and I gladly held him. Tears once again filled my eyes, but this time they were full of joy. Aaron was my knight in shining armor, he saved me and Emmet.

Aaron guided me to the passenger side of the car, taking Emmet from me. He buckled Emmet into his car seat and opened my door, waiting for me to get in before closing it. Aaron got into the drivers seat, but only turned the car on.

"H-how did you know I n-needed you?"

"I was calling you, but Emmet answered. He said that the man was back, that he was in the car but you were still outside."

Aaron lifted a hand to the side of my face. His lips found mine, kissing me gently. "Who was that man?" Aaron's face showed no emotion, a sight that brought tears to my eyes. "My ex-boyfriend," I whispered quietly. Something flashed in his eyes, anger? Jealousy? Whatever it was disappeared, and Aaron began to drive us home.

When we got back to the house, Emmet was asleep. Aaron carried him upstairs and laid him down in our bed. "I have to go take care of what happened today. I'll be back later, call if you need anything." He kissed my forehead, "oh, and Evelyn, what is this man's name?" I looked up at him, "Mark Lander." Aaron nodded, "thank you, angel. Get some rest while I go take care of Mark."

   I curled up next to Emmet and fell asleep. Dreaming of the baby growing inside of me, of Emmet and how brave  he acted today, of Aaron and how he rescued me, and of how happy I am, surrounded by everyone I love the most.