Chapter 6.

How do you know when you're falling for someone? It is the way your heart speeds up whenever they're near? Or maybe that feeling you get when they talk to you. For me, it was seeing Aaron and Emmet together. But can I really love a gang leader?

      After we left Target, I asked Aaron to take us by my house. Although I wasn't all for living with him, something in my heart knew I should. Was it fate that brought us together? I know that he can take care of both me and Emmet, something I have struggled to do.

      "You know, I can always just buy you both new things." Aaron looked at me as we pulled into my driveway. "There's no need for that. Besides, some of our stuff is from our parents," I sighed, helping Emmet get out of the car. "And I want them."

     Emmet ran up to the door, me right behind him. Aaron held my hand as we walked into the small house. The familiar scene of our home brought me to tears. "Emmet, go and pick out your favorite toys and put them on your bed please." He ran off, leaving just me and Aaron.

       "So, what do you want to keep?" I looked around, pictures were framed on the mantle, the quilt my mother made just before Emmet was born sat on the corner of the sofa. "I have a box in my room with some of my parents' things. I'll need a few clothes and Emmet can take some toys. I'll pack him clothes too."

    Aaron nodded his head. "What am i supposed to do with everything else?" I asked him. "I'm sure we can sell the furniture. Or, if you prefer, it can all stay here and we can make this one of the houses for when some of my men go undercover." "I'd rather let you use it, so I can still know it's here."

     I walked to my room, and took my black Nike duffel bag out of the closet. I filled it with my favorite pieces form my closet, as well as all of my underwear and bras. I grabbed my white converse, black strapping sandals, and Nike tennis shoes. If I anything else later, I'll just go out and buy it.

     Next, I went into Emmet's room and grabbed some of his clothes. "My toys," he said while pointing to the bed. "I'll get them in a minute, let me finish getting your clothes." Aaron walked back in after taking my things to the car. I put Emmet's toys into the tote made by our Aunt and carried it to the car.

"Em, we need to go." Aaron walked back outside, bringing his bag of clothes. Emmet came running outside, holding his new Paw Patrol stuffed animal. "I put all of the pictures in this box, I don't want anyone knowing you lived here previously." Aaron pointed to the box in the back of his car. "Thank you." He helped Emmet get buckled into his car seat and I went back inside my home of 19 years one last time.

The memories of my parents rushed back to me, overwhelming me quickly. I grabbed the quilt off of the couch and walked back outside. I locked the red door and got into the car. I watched the only house I've ever lived in, the only thing i have left of my parents, disappear as we drove towards our new beginning.