Chapter 24

“Donovan, this really isn’t what it looks like.” I try to explain.

“No, I see exactly what’s going on. You come to a party without telling me then I find you smooching Ryan!” He speaks in a loud voice, because of the music… and probably because he is mad.

“You also came here without telling me! And I didn’t kiss Ryan! He kissed me!”

“C’mon, Don.” Sabrina says as she pulls on Donovan’s arm, “Let’s just go”

They turn around and walk away, not saying anything else.

By now Kyle had noticed the commotion and he was standing next to me. “What happened, Kathy?”

I didn’t even reply Kyle, I just wanted to punch Ryan, but I knew he wouldn’t even feel it, “Ryan! This is all your fault! You always cause problems! I hate you!”

I could see that it pained him to hear that I hate him, and at that moment I didn’t necessarily care, although I didn’t really hate him. I was just very angry.

“I’m sorry, Kath… I didn’t mean for it to happen. It’s just…” Ryan tried to explain in a soft voice.

Kyle gently took my arm, “Let’s just go home, Kath.” He said as he gave Ryan a very disapproving look.

On our way home neither of us said anything. I could see out of the corner of my eye that Kyle was constantly glancing at me. I didn’t cry. I wanted to, but I didn’t.

I know I was wrong to not tell Donovan I was going, but to be fair he didn’t tell me either, and besides he was there with Sabrina. I mean why would he be there with her?

I honestly started to think that Donovan and I was never meant to be. Nothing goes right, cause Sabrina and Ryan is always somewhere in the picture.

When we pulled up in the driveway, I didn’t get out of the car immediately.

“Kyle, can you please sleep with me tonight?” I asked him.

“Woah… I didn’t know girls are so upfront about that!” he said and made a small chuckle.

“Not like that, Kyle” well, his reaction did make me smile, “Just like stay with me tonight, please.”

“I was never planning to leave you alone” He smiled and then got out of the car.

As we got inside he decided to make us some hot chocolate and then I told him EVERYTHING.

“Wow… I really don’t know what to say, Kathy… I just know that you deserve much better. And since when did Ryan turn into such a loser?” He pulled a funny face which made me laugh.

“Probably since you left, he didn’t have that good influence anymore when you were gone.” I smiled.

“Don’t worry, Kathy. I know you’ll be alright. You’re a strong girl.” He took a sip of his hot chocolate which was cooled down enough to drink.

It was 10 PM and the doorbell rang. I was just getting up to get the door but Kyle beat me to it.

“What are you doing here?” I heard the other voice say.

“Doing something that you’re not, being here for Kath…” I heard Kyle say.

Then I saw Donovan coming in through the door. “Can I speak to her alone?” He asked Kyle.

Kyle looked at me as if he was asking me if it was OK. I nodded.

“I wanted to go for a walk anyway” Kyle said before going outside.