Chapter 20

I woke up and the house was dead silent. For a moment I forgot that my parents went to America. Biscuit ran into my room and jumped onto the bed.

“OK, I’m up!” I say to Biscuit who is running in circles on my bed.

I went to the kitchen and made myself a cup of tea. I then brushed my teeth and got ready for school. It’s unusual to have such a quiet morning. I decided to walk to school today as it was a beautiful day.

When I have already passed to houses from mine I heard someone call my name. A familiar voice, but not one I wanted to hear. I spun around to confirm my thoughts. It was Ryan. Every time I see him I just feel the pain all over again. Why? I am happy with Donovan, why does the thought of Ryan still hurt me?

“Hi, Kath.” He says smoothly as he put his arm around my shoulder.

I quickly pushed his arm away, “What do you want, Ryan?”

“C’mon, Kath, don’t be like that…” He says, trying to sound sincere but I don’t believe that at all.

“Don’t be like that?” I asked, “You caused me all kinds of pain and then you and your stupid friends attack MY boyfriend… What the hell is wrong with you Ryan?”

“Kath… I’m sorry, I was so dumb to let you go that time. You are like the most amazing girl ever. I don’t know what I was thinking.” He whispers.

“If I was so amazing why did you leave me for Sabrina? And what does it help to abuse Donovan?” I snapped.

“I just got upset because he has you and I don’t. And I left you for Sabrina because I knew she could give me things that you wouldn’t give me…” Ryan replied, looking down at the ground.

“Oh, I see what you mean… Like STD’s!” I sarcastically said. “And why hit Donovan when you should be hitting yourself?”

“Well that would be just weird.” He grinned and narrowed his eyes.

“Then it would suit you just perfectly! Ryan why do you have to do this each time… The moment that I forget about you, you just arrive again… Do you know how much it hurts me to see you each time?” My voice was stern but shaky.

“So you’re clearly not over me… Just leave Donovan then we can be together again.” He smiled, but I just wanted to punch him.

“I am over you, Ryan! But that doesn’t mean that the pain you caused me will just go away. Life doesn’t work like that. If I was so important to you like you say then you wouldn’t have hurt me like you did.” I didn’t look at him. I wanted to avoid his eyes. He took a step closer to me.

“Ryan, you’re in my personal space!” I snapped at him

“You know you like it.” He laughed

“No, no I don’t!” But I knew I sort of did.

He gave a sigh, then suddenly he grabbed me and hugged me tight. As much as I hate to admit it, I liked his hugs. The way he smelt and his arms around me. I missed that, but I didn’t want to miss him. I don’t understand all of this, if he could just go away life would be a lot better.

“Well, you’re going to be late for school. Please can we just be friends?” He asked with some kind of sorrow in his big brown eyes.

“Ryan, Donovan is in the hospital thanks to you.” I swallowed.

“I know, and I’m sorry… Honestly. People make mistakes, Kath. Please, can we be friends? I miss you…"

“Bye, Ryan. I have to go.”